Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you generate oil pressure in a crank/no-start situation??

Old 10-19-2006, 07:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking Do you generate oil pressure in a crank/no-start situation??

So here I am finaly able to turn the key to the Firechicken and get some kind of results. It's been a looooooong road after over 1 year of down time, but I finally have everything together and I decided to turn the motor over but not start it last night, after all the car is stil open header and I'm in a very conservative neighborhood over here in Naples. Anyways, I turned the motor over a number of times, minimizing resistance with no spark plugs on the motor and holding the throttle open. The idea was to prime the oil pump and start the circulation, however, despine a good 10sec. or so of cranking, I didn't see the oil pressure indicator move a hair. Naturally my question, do you folks ever notice any oil presure gauge movement when in a crank/no-start situation? I'm hoping it's just a combination of the pump being new (i/e/ completley dry) and not enough rpm to really generate any good pressure. Any thoughts would be apprieciated!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as an older SBC then yes, they prime pretty quick but I've never built an LS1 so I couldn't tell you. Looks to me like it would start pulling oil and build up pressure. The oil pumps in these motors are driven off the crank correct?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I got my LS1 back together after a H/C swap I primed it by turning the motor over for a few seconds. It did build pressure, not a whole lot, but some.

Probably 15-20 psi if I remember correctly.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

When I did my motor swap it never built pressure until the motor started and ran for about 15-20 seconds. I primed it about 30 seconds before the first start with the fuel pump fuse pulled.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you generate oil pressure in a crank/no-start situation??