Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My turn for Cam question and stroke question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My turn for Cam question and stroke question

Ok guys, I just picked up a 4.8 Liter to start building for my 69' Tempest. Now I'm gonna overbore it and swap in the LS1 crank to make it a iron-block 5.7, wanna go with the TSP Stage 2.5 5.3 heads (maybe the LS6). I'm gonna be running a TKO600, Chevelle 12 bolt. The car is going to weigh in around 3800lbs I'm guessing. Now, here are my questions. I am debating on going Forced Induction, or a killer all motor with some nitrous. I'm building the car to be a daily-drivable and run good on long trips, have A/C, the whole 9, but I can't sacrifice my power lol. I've been looking at the MS3 cam and the G5x3 cam, and browsing a few others. What would be best for my application? I want to make good power under the curve, because it's a heavy car and will need some low end grunt. BUT, I like pulling to 6500rpms as well (my Iroc shifted at 7200 and loved it ). I've also been tossing up the idea of keeping the 4.8 crank in it to make a quick/high revving 312ci engine. Opinions on motor build? The car will have a complete custom fuel system to support whatever I want to throw at it, and everything else is set in stone on the car. Just can't make up my mind on motor combos lol. If I go forced induction, I'll be going with a GT7 cam from LPE, and a single turbo setup.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go with a roots syle blower like a Kenne Bell, those make sick power. Flattest torque curve ive ever seen. A guy here has one and makes 800lbs-ft at like 2k and holds that much till redline. I cant imagine making 800lbf-ft that low and keeping it all the way through the RPM's. That will get your heavy car moving.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I was looking into the magnachargers too. It's a HIGH possibility, if I went S/C it would have to be roots/twin-screw