Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Pulley Weight Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Pulley Weight Balancing

Okay, now that I have my engine torn down, the new cam shaft installed and am waiting for the remaining gaskets and stuff from Fred Beans, I noticed the crankshaft pulley - or harmonic balancer - was fairly worn and the rubber splitting so I ordered up a new one and it should arrive in a few days. In the meantime I'll install the new heads, double roller cam chain, etc etc

My question - When I removed the old crankshaft pulley I marked it's position on the pulley / crankshaft to try and replace it as close to the original spot as possible. There are 2 blue weights installed on my old pulley. When the new pulley arrives do I need to install new weights? How do I determine weight position? Do I install the new pulley in the same symmetric position (counting the little holes on the pulley face) as the old one to get it close to the original location?

I just want to make certain I do not induce a vibration after all this work to install a new heads / cam / intake, etc - and, I am degreeing my cam as well.

Appreciate your thoughts, ideas and time.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider this; I can't remember a single instance of an aftermarket pulley (ASP, Power Bond, etc.) inducing a vibration. Of course there is no orientation with a new aftermarket pulley. Aftermarket pulleys are zero-balanced.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the balancer is already zero balanced. It can go on in any position....No need to mark it or try to put it on the same as the old one...