Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Aftermarket Castings Have The Fewest Issues? (ET or TFS)

Old 10-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which Aftermarket Castings Have The Fewest Issues? (ET or TFS)

I melted a nice chunk out of my 6.0l cylinder heads a few weeks ago so I guess it's time to order some thicker deck heads!

I hear ET's are having some different valvetrain issues!?!? Are the ET casting issues resolved? Does anybody have good results from them making the power we are expecting them to?

I also notice TFS has bunk valves & some rocker arm issues?? Sometimes I read you can run stock rockers, sometimes I read you need aftermarket rockers. If I buy TFS heads can I run the comp pro magnum rocker arms?

Can guys with these two cylinder heads tell me about some of the things they're experiencing with these things? If I'm going to spend huge money I'd like to get the best possible cylinder head I can. I really don't need to be a test dummy for cylinder heads that should have been tested at the factory.

Also can you order 72ish cc chambers on TFS heads??

They both look like nice heads, but for my money I want the best head I can buy with the smallest chance of having issues.

Last edited by ls1itldo; 10-24-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:44 PM
Launching!

In this thread the tfs guys says the et heads have issues.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...9&page=3&pp=10

In this thread tfs heads are thought to require roller rockers
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/596486-trick-flow-heads.html

Anyone with experience from both?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experience with both.
TF is currently working to resolve the problem's with their heads.
The stock rocker arms aren't working correctly on the TFs heads.
The ET's come with their own rocker stand and stock rocker's work great with those rocker stands. If you don't use the stands then the heads don't work.
The problem with the ETP's has been guys with aftermarket roller rocker's that wanted to continue using the roller's. But now that problem is resolved as well with company's making rocker's for the 11 degree ETP heads.

Are you looking for a 4" bore head?
If so send me a PM, I am one of the few guys in the country that have a set of the 4" bore LS7 style ETP heads in stock.
Jeremy
Old 10-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Launching!

I guess that's why summit's site says they are on back order currently?!?!

In the previous thread the TFS guys says the et's where having issues, could that be the only issues they're having?

I'm wanting a head that will keep my ls6 intake.

Have you dyno tested both heads?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Might I also suggest AFR 225s...

Still makes as much power as any other LSx intake restricted heads. Plus, they've been around for a while without any issues.

A 340cfm head with an LS6 intake restriction is not going to run away from a 320cfm head with an LS6 intake (or FAST 90) restriction. Any of those heads will make big power with the right combo.

Just something to think about.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Does anyone else have some experience?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you'll find much around here at this point...for some reason, I haven't heard anything about the ETP heads for quite a while. TFS is getting the publicity right now, but they require roller rockers, so that has to be factored in to the whole equation, which somewhat diminishes their value as a lot of people like the factory rockers for their weight savings (and price).
Old 10-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Launching!

The fact of their needing roller rockers on the TF heads is a very recent development, and really to be expected on a non-stock vavle angle. I think the retailers of these heads will provide a competetively priced package deal that will bundle these heads with an appropriate roller rocker in the near future. TEA is taking care of the problem at no cost to the consumer, me being one, and I'm totally satisfied with their service and product. Learning curve problems notwithstanding, I think the TF heads have the potential to rise to the top of the heap of the aftermarket heads in performance and quality.

Search this Thread