Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump

My 1998 Camaro Z28's oil pump has died. the motor was running normally Saturday (the 21st), and I did not go anywhere Sunday (yes, I sat on my butt all day), and yesterday (Monday the 23rd) on my way to class (a 15 minute drive), the engine started getting slightly shuddery, and then on my way home, about 5-6 minutes into the drive, the motor started knocking, but through all of this, the oil pressure stayed at 40 until right when I got home (I drove probably 10-15 minutes with a noticable knock, but was close to home and decided to go home and check the motor). As I pulled into the garage, the Z28 stalled. I cranked it back up (with no trouble, it cranked right up), and pulled into the garage, where the oil pressure gauge promtly fell to zero. I checked the dipstick, which read no oil at all. I called my friend, who drove me to Advance Auto Parts, where I purchased 7 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic, with the intent to put in two quarts and check for pressure, then change the oil and filter (I bought a filter, plus an extra filter) and added two quarts of oil. No pressure was made (the low oil light never once came on), so I added three more quarts, and no pressure is being made. The motor still cranks (with no trouble) and runs, albeit with a nasty sounding knock. Does it sound like the motor is damaged, or just the pump? Thank you for any help and/or input.-Jon
Old 10-25-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is probably some damage. Have seen lots of those pumps fail, bypass valve sticks open.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

number one thing you need to do right now....drop the pan out from underneath, and the caps and check the bearings.....also you can pull the valve covers and check for any valve train issues...but im going to go with a little bit of lower end damage...
Old 10-25-2006, 05:18 AM
TECH Regular

Just curious, how many miles on your '98 when the oil pump failed?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

89500 miles, I have had it since 81117. Lately I have had to drive to Temple Terrace (a 34 minute drive over rough-ish roads) for work. But how much would you guys estimate it'll cost to get up and running normal again? Because I don't have a whole lot of money to spend, what with still having to pay my grandpa for the car, and school, and stuff. Thanks for the help though.