Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head shopping, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head shopping, looking for advice

I'm shopping for heads and I'm hoping someone with a bit more experience could give me some input. I'm looking for assembled heads, hopefully with roller rockers included, and putting a cam in. I'm really not interested in messing with my stock heads, and going through all the trouble (and tool purchases) to get them machined and put them together myself (although I'm pretty sure I'm capable).

2000 TA, rebuilt M6 Trans, aluminum flywheel. Mostly spirited driving on the street with maybe a few track days a year. Idle is somewhat important, high RPM not so much. Right now it's got a ported TB, EGR mod, MAF screen mod, stock exhaust, stock cam. It's getting a Fast LSX 90mm intake with 90mm TB, and a cat back exhaust over the winter. Come spring a 125-150 wet direct port nitrous kit.

From my shopping around I've stumbled on this and looking for opinions about it as far as a head, springs, rockers, valves, cam package:

http://www.lmperformance.com/5094/1.html

Also thinking about putting the LS4 oil pump in, along with a new timing set. Think the timing set is worth it, and any opions on the oil pump?

Any info that anyone wants to chime in with would be great.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You dont need or want that kit. What your budget is the first step?

Your gonna spray a 150 shot with a direct port? Thats kind of a waste of money if you ask me for such a small shot. Lets start at first with how much do you have to spend including installation? Then we'll look at heads and cams to match what you want to do.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm looking to put about $2000 into the motor. I'll be doing 90% of the labor myself, as I'm capable and have a well equipped garage. The nitrous, exhaust, tb, and intake not included in that number. I'm really hoping to freshen up the valve train, take care of any potential weak spots, and make some more power. I'm also planning on running a compression and leak down test this weekend to see how things are right now. The motor has over 85,000 on it, so I'm realistic about the probable condition of the heads and bottom end. That's part of the reason for taking it easy on the nitrous and leaning towards new heads and valves.
I'm also not looking for a ridiculous drag car. I want something fast on the street, that's reasonably driveable, to get some more miles out of the motor, and to have a little fun with the nitrous when the situation allows. I figure if it's holding up good, I can always rejet and push the nitrous up a bit.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Banned

Ok, at 2k your looking at heads and cam. Gasket kits are like $250 as well so you need to keep that in mind. I think you can do a nice heads and cam combo and you can definately do the work yourself then. TSP offers some great deals on heads as well as Patriot. For 2k your looking at p+p'ed factory castings with upgraded valve springs and retainers and a cam of your choice. You should be right around 2k installed with just that. Ls6 heads shaved for higher compression and a cam from anyone. Thunder Racing cams are very good or have one ground for you. My new cam is a 234/240. My old cam is a tr224/224. I had great luck with TSP heads and a tr224 cam.
Usually your heads come with upgraded springs.
You should be about 1000-1200 for the heads w/ upgraded valve springs and 400 for the cam. You need hardened pusrods as well, I'd make who ever your buying the heads from give you a big discount on the pushrods.

Oil pump is done for insurance as well as lifters. $217 for gm hi perf lifters and 150 for an oil pump.

Call a few sponsors and get the working for you. I've never paid advertised price for anything from Texas Speed. Others offer you "their dollars" for incentives, Texas Speed was all about making me happy with an instant discount not a discount that only works if you shop there agian. I'll buy from them anytime.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good. What's your opinion about after market lifters, any better or worse, or just stick with the GM hi perf?

How about factory rockers, reuse my existing ones or look aftermarket for 1.7 rollers rockers? Worth it?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate the input.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Brian @ Texas Speed & Performance's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike44138- Give us a call or shoot us an email. We have quite a few packages we could put together for you, depending on what you need. We have the stage 1 LS6 heads that do VERY well if you looking to run a large cam, or we have the Terminator heads. We also have the new port for the 5.3 heads. We can also get you setup with a cam. It just depends on what your looking to do with the setup. Let us know if you have any questions!

Brian
(806) 866-0734
Old 10-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike44138
Sounds good. What's your opinion about after market lifters, any better or worse, or just stick with the GM hi perf?
I went with the new gm hi performance lifters. Same porice as the comps but are supposed to be good for 8500 rpms
How about factory rockers, reuse my existing ones or look aftermarket for 1.7 rollers rockers? Worth it?
Factory rockers are decent enough. You can have them rebuilt by Harland Sharp through Nasty performance and they should be good to go. If you absolutely have to have new rockers them you need to pony up to the very expensive jesel shaft mounts. If your gonna upgrade thats the only one that makes sense.

I've bought both sets of my heads from Texas Speed as well as a few other things. I have never had a complaint about them.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great advice, I'll be giving TSP a call this afternoon. Again, thanks for all the info, been a big help.