Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forged engine...whats involved?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default forged engine...whats involved?

hey guys I dont really know anything about this stuff so i'm hoping you can school me a little? I read that if you want to build a good base for alot of power (500-1000hp) its wise to invest in a forged block. What exactly is it thats forged? Is it the actual block thats forged or is it just the internal parts? Or is it the whole engine?

Also,how much power can the stock ls1 block safely take? thanks
Old 10-29-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Connecting rods and pistons are what you need. The block is not the weak part.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Connecting rods and pistons are what you need. The block is not the weak part.

So its just some internal parts that need to be changed out? Will the block stand against the cobra engine thats good for 1000hp? Also whats with all these guys changing their botom ends what is a botom end?Do you know where I could read about this specific stuff cause I am really new to this stuff? Thanks
Old 10-29-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By bottom end they mean the crank/rods/pistons and sometimes the block.

The stock crank is very strong. Normally the things to go first are the pistons and rods. Upgrading to high quality forged pistons and rods will normally get you a motor that can handle a good deal of power. I haven't seen the stock block and crank break under 1000hp.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
By bottom end they mean the crank/rods/pistons and sometimes the block.

The stock crank is very strong. Normally the things to go first are the pistons and rods. Upgrading to high quality forged pistons and rods will normally get you a motor that can handle a good deal of power. I haven't seen the stock block and crank break under 1000hp.

Oh ok, when people were saying bottom end I was under thr impression it was the block or something my bad. I have the book ls1/ls6 v-8s and it says the crank,pistons,connecting rods,piston press on pins, are good for 500+ but the connecting rod bolts are no good after like 450. I guess maybee they just havent tested past 500-550 or something to come up with those #s. They did say the crank is very very strong. Also I 'm not sure if they were talking about the iron block or not when they say the block is good for 800.

The reason for my madness is i'm trying to plan out a good build for the future so I can stand against cobras. I want to build something that will stand alot of power. So far it dosent seem like the cobra engines are that much stronger. so it sounds just like you said "changing the bottom end" is what I need to do to stand the power to matchup with the cobra engine.
what do you think?