Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter is in but....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Converter is in but....

Got the Yank SS4000 installed last night and everything put back together. The converter is very loose but pulls like a mother. Yank recommends you drive for 150 miles to break the converter in with no stalling it up or flashing it. I figured a drive to MSU and back to get the g/f would be fine as its about 200 round trip. Well on the way home I get to about 165 or so miles and decide to see what I just spent two days working on feels like, slam the throttle down and am immediatly thrown back in my seat to the sweet sound of the rpms flying then all of the sudden.........I hit the rev limiter twice or so and it never shifted so I let off.

Now usually this wouldn't be too bad seeing as the car has a built valvetrain and autos are usually not too bad on pegging out. WRONG the car is hurt bad. I luckly got it home but the rest of the way back it ticked like a mother and just about died everytime I came to a stop. When does it ever end!!!! I'm soo pissed right now, any uggestions on where to look or anyone know what it may be? I'm thinking a lifter.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your tranny fluid make sure it's leveled out when warm otherwise it won't shift worth a damn, I guess you bent some push rods is my guess when you hit the rev limiter
Old 11-03-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have chromoly pushrods that were pretty expensive so I hope it wasn't those. The shift points my tuner said may be a bit off so I'm not too worried about that, more concerned about the motor. If it was a lifter are there any out there that are stronger and better than the comps?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:01 AM

well me pesonally, if i was in your shoes and my motor was ticking after a wot and bouncing rev limiter i would hope it was bent pushrods rather than a lifter even if the the pushrods were 500.00 a set
just alot less work associated with replacing a bent pushrod rather than a lifter
Old 11-03-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My guess is the tranny couldn't handle the extra trq multiplication of the stall and it slipped (hitting limiter).
In general hitting the limiter doesn't affect the motor (Lord knows I've done that a few times). Limiter just shuts fuel off, reduces timing.
However what is your limiter set at? Stock lifters?
If your tune is not right, fuel is reduced and timing still at max could cause detonation bad.

1- Check all your plugs
2- remove V-covers and check valvetrain.

If nothing visible with that, then probable lifter collapse.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

True statement on the pushrods as I just checked the price of Morel lifters. I currently have my limiter set at 6700 and shift points at 6500 and am using comp lifters. I'm gonna have to pull a valvecover and hope its a pushrod then. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
1- Check all your plugs
2- remove V-covers and check valvetrain.

If nothing visible with that, then probable lifter collapse.
I'd pull the valve covers and give the valvetrain a once over. How high were your RPMs when you hit the rev limiter?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Had to have been 6700 or near it seeing as thats where my limiter is set at.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pulled the passenger side valve cover today and found the problem right away. Looks like I'll be ordering a new set of springs pronto.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:09 PM

good thing you found the brocken spring before the other spring broke and let the valve fall. good luck on the fix.
hope this solves the tick
Old 11-06-2006, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

98s are a bitch to get the shift point and rev limiter set correctly, sometimes they just want do what they are told. You got to trick them bitches unto submission.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys I'm gonna get the new springs in and take the car to my tuner and see if he can makes things right, I just wanna see how much a difference this converter makes . There was also a small spot of oil underneath the car which had my worried until I noticed the damn pcv tube came off the valve cover.