Sponsored by:

1.8 rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1.8 rocker arms

Hello Guys,

I'm intersted in maybe changing out my rocker arms and wondering what everyones opinion is.

98 LS1
Ls6 intake

Do I need to get new valve springs? I so how hard are they going to be to do with the heads on the car?

Also is this something I"m going to have to take the valve covers off and adjust now and then or can I get ones like the stock rockers arms that just torque to spec and are adjusted that way?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

I'll take a stab at this. Whose 1.8 rockers? Are these the SLP ones that are stock replacement but with the 1.8 ratio? If yes, you do not have to adjust these rockers. After all, you do not adjust the factory rockers either.

For a '98 engine, going to 1.8 rockers, I would upgrade the valve springs. When swapping valve springs with the heads on, there are a couple methods on how to do this. I prefer feeding the cylinder with compressed air to keep the valve up.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Doc99SS
I'll take a stab at this. Whose 1.8 rockers? Are these the SLP ones that are stock replacement but with the 1.8 ratio? If yes, you do not have to adjust these rockers. After all, you do not adjust the factory rockers either.
I was looking at the SLP but I was hoping somone else made some that are stock replacement like that. They are pretty proud of theres.

Originally Posted by Doc99SS
For a '98 engine, going to 1.8 rockers, I would upgrade the valve springs. When swapping valve springs with the heads on, there are a couple methods on how to do this. I prefer feeding the cylinder with compressed air to keep the valve up.
OKay I didn't know you could do that. Would be no big deal to do it that way.

Thanks alot!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

The rockers should simply bolt down to a specified torque; there is no valve lash adjustment on factory type rockers.

Also, in replacing the valve springs, you need a good spring compressor to squeeze to spring down to the point where the retainer keepers can be removed. My trick here is to extract the small keepers with a magnet, works great every time!
Old 11-08-2006, 05:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would look into the Cranes for the rockers. For springs, I would look at the Comp 918's. The Cranes won't "just bolt in" as they are fully adjustable, but I think they are a superior rocker to the SLP's.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

if you are looking into alittle more power i would look somewhere else than 1.8 rockers. if you don't allready have one an ls6 intake will probably pick up as much power as the rockers and if you get a cam later on it would probably be a good idea to ditch the 1.8 rockers if it is an agressive cam like an xer lobe. an ud pulley is a fairly easy mod also that will free up some power.just my .02
Old 11-08-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I already have the ls6 intake and aluminum flywheel along with slp long tubes. and so far I have good power and still GREAT gas mileage since this is my dd. I figured the rockers would add good solid power and not affect my drivability or gas mileage hardly at all. A cam on the other hand is going to suck gas no way around it if I"m going to do it its going to be a bad boy and that is not the route i'm going with this car.

Say I did go with the adjustable, how often would I really need to go in there and adjust them? I don't rev any higher than 5,000 - 5,500. I'm also not at WOT every chance I get or anything. But I'm looking for stock reliability and so far I feel I have that, we take this car on road trips and I need it to stay dependable.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gnomee
I don't rev any higher than 5,000 - 5,500.

Then why mod the car at all?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You adjust them when you install them, there is no maintenance except for when you change springs which is something you will have to do once in a while. As for the cam, mileage and cams can go hand in hand. I have the VHP 056 cam, picked up 40 rwhp and got slightly better mileage. With the new heads and higher compression, more power and more mileage. Its really depends upon your parts selection.