Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install, major problems & need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam install, major problems & need help

Well I managed to get the new cam in tonight but for some reason the timing chain sprocket is hitting the camshaft retainer. I can't figure this out, it acts like the cam is too far in the block or something. The cam is the Patriot 226/226, stock timing set.... Also I was using the Moore tool to swap the valve springs and the damn thing rounded off where the ratchet goes so now I have to spend another hundred dollars and get the crane cams tool. That aluminum POS ain't worth a **** for under the cowl, I should've thought of that to begin with. The main thing is my timing sprocket clearance issue, this has got me stumped! Thanks
Old 11-08-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

As far as the spring tool. I bought one from a member on here for $30. Worked very well, and used it on 2 cars and it is still good. I will have to try and dig up his name for ya.

"Tims Tool"
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ve+spring+tool

I did my own cam swap, and I would double check to make sure the cam is all the way in. My 230/224 had a touch of play once the retainer plate was installed back in place.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this is the same sprocket and retainer it's not possible. Cam goes in, retainer goes on, sprocket bolts to cam, do you have the sprocket on backwards?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

You know what... I never checked that when I did my swap. But I do remember it having a little play after the plate was installed. Maybe once you put the timing chain back on it will stay away from the plate!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaddySS
If this is the same sprocket and retainer it's not possible. Cam goes in, retainer goes on, sprocket bolts to cam, do you have the sprocket on backwards?

No, the flat side faces out correct? It's all on and torqued down to spec but something isn't right, I'll double check it to make sure but I know it's on right. This beats all I've ever seen! How much gap did ya'll have between the sprocket and the bolts for the retainer? That's what it's hitting, I can loosen the bolts and it turns fine but as soon as I torque them down it pulls the sprocket too close and hits the retainer plate bolts. I ordered that crane valve spring tool from Summit so it looks like Friday before I get it running.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found the problem, The cam wasn't cut right and was too short at the end where the sprocket bolts to it. It was only off a minor amount, I had to pull it back out and compare it to the stock cam to see it. Hopefully my replacement will be here tomorrow so I can get this car up and running. I knew there was no possible way something was wrong with the retainer plate and sprocket. Thanks for the help...
Old 11-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
Found the problem, The cam wasn't cut right and was too short at the end where the sprocket bolts to it. It was only off a minor amount, I had to pull it back out and compare it to the stock cam to see it. Hopefully my replacement will be here tomorrow so I can get this car up and running. I knew there was no possible way something was wrong with the retainer plate and sprocket. Thanks for the help...
wtf? who ground the cam? I've read a few threads in the past about this
Old 11-09-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a Patriot cam but them guys really are working hard to get this fixed, I talked to them today and hopefully a new cam will get here tomorrow. It's not that big of a deal but I do need the car done this weekend, wasn't planning on all this trouble but it ain't their fault. **** happens. It was about .000002" too short, enough where I torqued the cam sprocket down it would bind the cam, retainer and sprocket. It had me puzzled all night last night, I stayed up to around 1:00 in the morning fiddling with it until I realized what was going on.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent, good catch. Hope it comes together nicely from here out. Take your time, come back here and ask if you have a question.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

It's a Patriot cam but them guys really are working hard to get this fixed, I talked to them today and hopefully a new cam will get here tomorrow. It's not that big of a deal but I do need the car done this weekend, wasn't planning on all this trouble but it ain't their fault. **** happens. It was about .000002" too short, enough where I torqued the cam sprocket down it would bind the cam, retainer and sprocket. It had me puzzled all night last night, I stayed up to around 1:00 in the morning fiddling with it until I realized what was going on.
How did you know it was too short? .000002", I wouldn't begin to know how to measure that, let alone see it.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
As far as the spring tool. I bought one from a member on here for $30. Worked very well, and used it on 2 cars and it is still good. I will have to try and dig up his name for ya.

"Tims Tool"
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ve+spring+tool

I did my own cam swap, and I would double check to make sure the cam is all the way in. My 230/224 had a touch of play once the retainer plate was installed back in place.
Crane tool is lightyears ahead of any tool out there. You'll see
Old 11-10-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99C5Coupe
How did you know it was too short? .000002", I wouldn't begin to know how to measure that, let alone see it.
I can't see it either
Old 11-11-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That has happened on a couple of occasions before. There was a couple of threads about it. That is why is it nice to double check everything.
good job on the find.