Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piecing rotating assembly, have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Piecing rotating assembly, have a question.

I wasn't sure how to title the question. Anyhow, I am buying the parts to build my motor piece by piece and then once I've got everything, I plan on taking it to a shop to do the machining and balancing. I won't buy the pistons because they will be custom and I'll leave that up to the engine builder to decide. My question is, would I be safe to buy the crank and connecting rods before hand? I don't think there's anything custom/special about these pieces, but I could be wrong. I figured they were standared parts of a rotating assembly. I wanted a set of Callies Compstart connecting rods and the common size seems to be 6.125" length, 2.100" crank pin, and .927" wrist pin for the LS1/LS2 engine. Then either the Callies Dragonslayer or Eagle 4"/2.100" pin crankshaft. Do I need to wait on these parts for the builder to order or are these standard sizes?

Last edited by Dragaholic; 11-09-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 AM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone? Once I've confirmed this, I can start ordering more parts. I've already got the L92 block and all misc. parts for the conversion.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm pretty sure that is the standard size.since your pistons are going to be custom they may or may not have to be special made but with a combo like that you may be able to find a high quality piston that is mass produced .i guess it depends on what all you want done to the piston.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

i wouldnt order a eagle crank stick with callies
Old 11-10-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
I wasn't sure how to title the question. Anyhow, I am buying the parts to build my motor piece by piece and then once I've got everything, I plan on taking it to a shop to do the machining and balancing. I won't buy the pistons because they will be custom and I'll leave that up to the engine builder to decide. My question is, would I be safe to buy the crank and connecting rods before hand? I don't think there's anything custom/special about these pieces, but I could be wrong. I figured they were standared parts of a rotating assembly. I wanted a set of Callies Compstart connecting rods and the common size seems to be 6.125" length, 2.100" crank pin, and .927" wrist pin for the LS1/LS2 engine. Then either the Callies Dragonslayer or Eagle 4"/2.100" pin crankshaft. Do I need to wait on these parts for the builder to order or are these standard sizes?
Unfortunately im not sure why you are even bothering...most engine builders dont mind passing on a good deal to the customer when they can make up the price difference in their labor. Those are parts id leave up to the builder to match and save you some headaches. Just finance it and be done.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:59 AM
9 Second Club NA

I won't be financing it. I'll be paying cash for everything. However, since I'm doing it this way, I want to save as much money as possible which is why I'm trying to piece it together myself, then have the shop do their part.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
I won't be financing it. I'll be paying cash for everything. However, since I'm doing it this way, I want to save as much money as possible which is why I'm trying to piece it together myself, then have the shop do their part.
I got a much better deal than I could have ever gotten alone by going with a sponsor. When you work with a builder to build a motor, they usaully give you nice prices on the parts so they can make the money on the labor of building it. Not to mention you get expert advise from someone who builds these motors every day. You never know what your gunna get from the local "old school" machine shop there in town. I know I wouldn't take a crap in a motor from the machine shop that's close to me.