Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

save my car!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default save my car!

Ok I have owned this car for barely over a month and am now seriously considering shooting my car because it has been nothing but problems. So far I have had to replace my engine after owning the car for 3 days and now the right rear tire sqeaks, car pulls to the right, exhaust raddles, tire leaked, rim busted, clutch is sticking, and my car can barely move because of something wrong with my new engine. Ohh I also forgot that the right fender came loose and was sticking out about 3/4 of an inch while driving down the highway. ok now that my venting is over here is my question. Ever sense I hit a bad bump cruising down the highway my engine has troubling idling, has a lot more rough vibrations, and is much slower accelerating (runs an 8 second 0-60 time instead of a 5-6 seconds before). I am trying to figure out what is wrong with it and am seeing if anybody has any guesses. It has a huge loss of power and when you push the pedal to the metal the engine is very slow to react and it does not accelerate smoothly the car also make a very rough sounding noise too. If anybody has any clue please try to give me some advice. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Teching In

why does no one want to try and save my car.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

holy cow what happened here??? Did it have a clean title when you bought it? Did you get it from a private party or a dealership? Did you get it checked out first? I am asking because I'm on the market for a vehicle and stories like this freak me out and make me just wanna ride a bicycle.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

have you jacked your car up and got under it to look for possible problems ? is it not setting any codes ? if so take it to a parts store that will hook it up and see what they are. as for the fender coming loose i'm stumped.is the clutch sticking to the floor under hare acceleration ? you should be able to find a rim on here in the for sale section or post a thread in the parts wanted section. stick in there buddy,once you get her going smoothly you will be very happy with it.it just sounds like it needs quite a bit of t l c.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by da boss
It has a huge loss of power and when you push the pedal to the metal the engine is very slow to react and it does not accelerate smoothly the car also make a very rough sounding noise too. If anybody has any clue please try to give me some advice.
You need to go through the process of elimination. Although when I hear "rough sounding noise" upon a heavy load, I'm immediately thinking somewhere in the ignition system... but it's way to early in the game to speculate. I would consider doing the basic checks first; compression test, fuel pressure test, vacuum leak test, get a diagnostic check (their free), etc...

Like slow trap asked, are you throwing any codes? You installed a brand new engine, maybe a sensor is not hooked up, missing, or broken...

As far as the squealing is concerned, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get yourself some fresh new rotors (if the stock ones aren't salvagable) and brakes. Wheel alignment will stop the car from pulling to one side (assuming of course that you have the same size tires on both sides of the car)...

Hang in there, it'll work out.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Where did you get the replacement engine and who did the install? There are plenty of us in HR to help out.

If all of this started when you hit that bump, get her on a lift and take a look.

Are you throwing any codes?

EDIT: You may get better results in the General Automotive and Repair forum

R/

Frat

Last edited by Fratsit; 11-11-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you make sure that they put a V-8 in there? lol
Old 11-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by da boss
Ok I have owned this car for barely over a month and am now seriously considering shooting my car because it has been nothing but problems. So far I have had to replace my engine after owning the car for 3 days and now the right rear tire sqeaks, car pulls to the right, exhaust raddles, tire leaked, rim busted, clutch is sticking, and my car can barely move because of something wrong with my new engine. Ohh I also forgot that the right fender came loose and was sticking out about 3/4 of an inch while driving down the highway. ok now that my venting is over here is my question. Ever sense I hit a bad bump cruising down the highway my engine has troubling idling, has a lot more rough vibrations, and is much slower accelerating (runs an 8 second 0-60 time instead of a 5-6 seconds before). I am trying to figure out what is wrong with it and am seeing if anybody has any guesses. It has a huge loss of power and when you push the pedal to the metal the engine is very slow to react and it does not accelerate smoothly the car also make a very rough sounding noise too. If anybody has any clue please try to give me some advice. Thanks.
1) Your buddy bounced your car off a curb, that threw off alignment, possibly damaged the wheel bearing, and damaged your rim.

2) Your right fender is sticking out because you or whoever pulled that rim off likely put the jack for the car under the plastic tab behind the wheel and bent it, causing the fender to stick out (it says right on the instructions on the spare tire panel to NOT put the jack there yet many still do)

3) Trouble idling, rough running, and slow acceleration, esp after hitting a hard bump.. I would pull the sparkplugs and make sure that one of them is not loose, or cracked. Hell, maybe even change them. Also see if a sparkplug wire came loose. If you have your EGR/AIR systems still on, good luck getting to #8
Old 11-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Teching In

yeah my friend hit the curb and broke the rim but it occured to me the other day that my tire wasn't squealing before I had the new rim put on so maybe the shop screwed something up. I guess I will just have to put it up un a lift to find out whats really wrong with it. So far I have fixed the tire, pushed the panel almost all the way in (but it still sticks out a little), and might have found out what is wrong with my exhaust. I am just hoping something came loose when I hit that bump because that is when the engine started having trouble. Anyways hopefully I will have finished with all these problems by the end of the week. Thanks for the replys.

P.S.- My buddy and I thought that maybe one of the cylinders isn't firing so does anybody know what some symptoms of that are, thanks.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Also I almost forgot that last night (while going down the highway) my clutch got stuck to the floor and the car would not let me into any gears. I pulled over and tried shutting the car off and then starting it back up again and it would then let me put the shifter in gear but it still wasnt engadged. I eventually just lifted up on the clutch pedal and it freed right up. So I am trying to find out what could of happened.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

check for vacum leaks. maybe when you hit something you knocked a line loose. Check your plug wires because if they were not snapped, they too could have been knocked loose and could cause a serious missfire.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

who did u get car from?
Old 11-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Teching In

i got my car from autosource in virginia beach. I went to advanced today and found out that I had 8 codes thrown so I had them erase the computer. 2 1/2 hours later I went back and found out my car had thrown 5 new codes (thats one every half hour) 3 dealt with the intake, 1 for random misfiring cylinders, and I am unsure about the last one.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Teching In

I also forgot that a clamp that holds the y-pipe and headers together is just dangling there not attatched maybe this is what is rattling on my exhaust.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

misfires can be such things as spark plugs, coils, coil wires, burnt valves, bent valves?? start with the basics.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Teching In

what would be the easiest thing to start with. Also I just found out that my tire is squealing because my break rotor is higher in one place. It is about $400 for new ones but I think I might upgrade to some Baer brakes if they are not to much more.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 PM
Teching In

wow why would you buy a ls1 if you nothing about it?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Napolean
wow why would you buy a ls1 if you nothing about it?
Thats not nice, unless you ment any car in general. You should see my basket case, and I drove it and all was fine until it was at home for a week, then, all hell broke lose. It happens........
Old 11-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Teching In

The car was in nearly perfect condition when we bought it or at least it seemed. The old owner blew the motor and didnt clean out the oil pan and so now I am the one that had to buy the new one. Most of the problems started when I got my new motor installed and I let my friend drive and he spun out and hit a curb. He wrecked from mainly inexperience and every time it rains at least one car spins out and goes into the median there. So far 2 vipers and a brand new vett have also spun out and wrecked at the same place .Also I know plenty about them just I can always learn more so thats why I am a here.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 436 Likes on 349 Posts

Sounds to me like your fuel pump is going out. Put a pressure gauge on the fuel line and see what it reads. Most of the time a random misfire is due to a low fuel pressure situation.