Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are our cars so loud?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why are our cars so loud?

I know we have piston slap, but even when they are warm they are tappy. Why? I know its a combination, but whats the biggest contributor?

Lifters?
Roller Rockers?
Beehive style valvesprings?

I am pretty sure my rocker arms make noise at low rpms, its a uniform light sewing maching sound hearable inside the car under 2,000 rpm off-throttle mainly (between low rpm shifts).
Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I started modding my car, I remember it being quieter than any of the other GM's I had owned (the 90's model trucks). I never remember hearing any sewing machine or tapping, or anything for that matter, before I swapped cams.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Banned

I am OCD, I can hear my 6-speeds internals turning with the clutch let out vs. pushed in...
Old 11-16-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I am OCD, I can hear my 6-speeds internals turning with the clutch let out vs. pushed in...
Heh, I understand. Well, everytime I get in my car I wish I could get back to that stock noise level from under the hood.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I go to school for **** ****, so i am always paranoid LOL. I have a Pro 5.0 (noisy as hell) It always sounds like something is wrong in the trans.
The engine...wow. The valvetrain isn't loud, but it loud enough to hear it in the car with the radio down low, and it drives me insane. Its normal. Most of the time, it is piston slap when the engine is cold due to sloppy tolerances with these engines, and also lifter makes a little noise. Injectors can also make similar noise. When you get an aggressive cam, you will also hear the valve slapping closed. I am slowing learning to live with the noises being that they are completly normal. Fast cars are noisy right...
Old 11-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Banned

Yeah, the rocker arms I think are what makes noise in mine. It is like a sewing maching when I shift at low rpms not getting on it at all, VERY faint from inside the car, but I can hear it if I listen, sounds kinda like the clutch is slipping a tad or something, sorta like marbles rolling on lenolium kinda is the best I can do. Dad said its normal for a pushrod motor with RR's (LS1's have em' stock) to do that.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2 SSlow
Fast cars are noisy right...
Exactly

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottest...57002ca632.htm

Oh, and my motor sounds like a sewing machine and its completely stock.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Exactly

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottest...57002ca632.htm

Oh, and my motor sounds like a sewing machine and its completely stock.
OMG!!! What does that thing run in the 1/4.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

I have no idea, I just thought it was a good time to throw it in there.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:41 PM
11 Second Club

Anyways back to car being loud..... wtf?!!? I honestly thought my ls1 was super quiet stock, i didn't have any issues with engine noise either. Now it has lts, ory, and dynomax bullet, i still think is it too quiet for me (some people wear earplugs when they ride in my car, no joke). Cam goin in this weekend, now im talkin .
Old 11-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Banned

I think some people notice more than others to be honest.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To tell the truth i just put in a heads and cam combo and i love the sound. I have only had it a few days so of course im not sick of it. I find myself not even listinging to the radio anymore and just enjoying the sweet sound of my engine. Even before i put the cam in i would just listen to my stock engine. But to awnser the question i think it is a combo of all the things that you listed.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

I've NEVER heard piston slap on an LS1 before.. I dont get to see many, but I have heard it on other cars.. Mostly 5.3 Silverados when its cooler out...

The valvetrain on my vette is something to chatter about

You guys want to hear a LOUD LS1? You need to see my vids!
If i can figure out where to post my new videos of my car I'd throw a link up here... give me some time here, i just got a new digi cam w/ video!
Old 11-17-2006, 06:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Long Beach
To tell the truth i just put in a heads and cam combo and i love the sound. I have only had it a few days so of course im not sick of it. I find myself not even listinging to the radio anymore and just enjoying the sweet sound of my engine. Even before i put the cam in i would just listen to my stock engine. But to awnser the question i think it is a combo of all the things that you listed.
Same here man, I have a kickin stereo system too. But who needs music when you have a bad *** sounding car to listen to?

I think alot of the noise is because the engine is Alluminum, and then after you put headers and exhaust it open up the breathing so much that you finely start hearing what the engine sounds like to begin with. You know? with out all that back pressure.

I really don't think there is very much piston slap, due to sloppy tolerances, What does piston slap even sound like? cause if that is the problem than I think your motor is about toast. Moslty what you are probibly hearing is the Valve train,

I personally love it. I would not trade it for anything.... At least not unless I was trading up for something alot meaner.

lane
Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

3 threads about virtually the same issue? Is this section now called the "BLKWS.6 section of Ls1 noises" I'm partially joking but honestly, nothing is wrong with your car. I was there the day you got it and several posters have backed it up that your problems lie somewhere between the steering wheel and the seat. Enjoy your car or sell it to me.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

my motor has its noises too when its cold, funny thing is you only hear it from in the car, you stick ur head in the engine compartment you can barely hear it... once it warms up and the oil temp gets up, just the standard sewing machine sound u get from the cam.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Yeah, the rocker arms I think are what makes noise in mine. It is like a sewing maching when I shift at low rpms not getting on it at all, VERY faint from inside the car, but I can hear it if I listen, sounds kinda like the clutch is slipping a tad or something, sorta like marbles rolling on lenolium kinda is the best I can do. Dad said its normal for a pushrod motor with RR's (LS1's have em' stock) to do that.
We have Roller Lifters stock, not roller rockers

I WISH!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 348 Posts

Install a 3" dual exhaust that dumps before the rear axle. You won't even be able to hear yourself think, much less notice minor valvetrain noise, lol. And yes LS1's have roller rockers. They just don't have roller tips, which don't really do **** for performance anyway.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

get some louder exhaust and you wont hear it .
Old 11-17-2006, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUTTERERMAN85
get some louder exhaust and you wont hear it .
Yeah that sounds like a good sugestion, you should get a louder exhaust or cutout.