Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car drank 2 qts of oil in 2k miles!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 05:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default my car drank 2 qts of oil in 2k miles!

any ideas? its not smoking and the motor is bone dry underneath. not a drip anywhere. under wot all i get is a little puff like its blowing out the intial hit of fuel and then nada. someone stealing my oil or what?
Old 11-18-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When mine was really burning oil, I had someone else drive it and the most noticeable smoke was when he let off after accelerating hard and it pulled vaccum.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
any ideas? its not smoking and the motor is bone dry underneath. not a drip anywhere. under wot all i get is a little puff like its blowing out the intial hit of fuel and then nada. someone stealing my oil or what?
If you're getting a puff of smoke at the initial hit of the throttle its the low pressure created by the pistons speeding up and pulling oil through your valve seals from the oil thats under your valve covers. So every single time you leave a stop sign, or traffic light, or lightly accelerate to pass someone, even though you don't see the puff, its pulling it through and burning it.

You need a valve job.

If the smoke continued during heavy acceleration than its your rings, like mine.

And don't feel bad, I use 2 qrts every 200 miles....yes.....200.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quickin

And don't feel bad, I use 2 qrts every 200 miles....yes.....200.

=( There's only one way to fix it. 408.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Welcome to the Ls1 world LOL
Old 11-18-2006, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

i find it hard to belive i need a valve job on a car with 20k on it but i guess its possible. time for some heads.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, "Oh well" it's time for some AFRs
Old 11-18-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i find it hard to belive i need a valve job on a car with 20k on it but i guess its possible. time for some heads.
Actually I don't think that's correct. The symptom for using oil through the seals is smoke on deceleration and start up after sitting. Smoke on acceleration is rings. There is a TSB on the LS1 using oil on high RPM light load usage. Do you keep the revs up there a lot?

Before you do anything, do some analysis - leak down test, look at your plugs, check for oil in the intake by pulling the TB and look in the intake, etc.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Actually I don't think that's correct. The symptom for using oil through the seals is smoke on deceleration and start up after sitting. Smoke on acceleration is rings. There is a TSB on the LS1 using oil on high RPM light load usage. Do you keep the revs up there a lot?

Before you do anything, do some analysis - leak down test, look at your plugs, check for oil in the intake by pulling the TB and look in the intake, etc.
there is oil in the intake but that could be from the pcv. the car rarely goes over 3k unless im running someone which has been rare lately. im going to pull the plugs this weekend and see if any are wet.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:49 AM
TECH Veteran

there is oil in the intake but that could be from the pcv. the car rarely goes over 3k unless im running someone which has been rare lately. im going to pull the plugs this weekend and see if any are wet.
Oil in the intake is also a sign of valve seals gone bad. I say remove the intake and see if there's a shitload of oil build-up going towards the cylinders, if yes...valve seals for sure.

DaddySS,

Smoke during the entire time accelerating is bad rings. Bad rings will smoke all the time under any kind of acceleration. But if you just a get a cloud when you nail the gas, then it clears up "as you continue" to accelerate, its the vlave seals sucking it in when the pressure takes a sharp drop when you nail it and sucks in a big gulp of oil through the seals.

I had his exact symptoms, had the heads rebuilt and it was 100% gone.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

If a plug(s) is wet it could also be from bad valve seals leaking after shutdown and dripping all the way into the cylinder through the open valve and onto the plugs. Thats why you might get a puff at start up too, the cylinders have raw wet oil lining the cylinder walls.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

Smoke during the entire time accelerating is bad rings. Bad rings will smoke all the time under any kind of acceleration
...uhh thas def my problem for sure...been that way the past 2 years ive had it ...almost done payin it off and then im goin with a 382 ...i figure if i have break down the motor i better gain somthin from it
Old 11-21-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

I use 2 qrts every 200 miles....yes.....200.
i feel ur pain
Old 11-21-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quickin
Oil in the intake is also a sign of valve seals gone bad. I say remove the intake and see if there's a shitload of oil build-up going towards the cylinders, if yes...valve seals for sure.

DaddySS,

Smoke during the entire time accelerating is bad rings. Bad rings will smoke all the time under any kind of acceleration. But if you just a get a cloud when you nail the gas, then it clears up "as you continue" to accelerate, its the vlave seals sucking it in when the pressure takes a sharp drop when you nail it and sucks in a big gulp of oil through the seals.

I had his exact symptoms, had the heads rebuilt and it was 100% gone.

Yes and no. When you open the throttle you lose vacuum so there is less suction on the seals, not more. You do create a strong rush of air in the intake and some of the oil that's in there will probably get pulled into the cylinder. When you close the throttle and decelerate, you create high vacuum and very strong pull on the valve seals which is why you see more smoke if the seals are bad. The puff of smoke that you saw was probably oil that had been drawn through the seals, was on the valves and intake and exhaust ports and then got drawn in on acceleration along with higher exhaust pressure pushing it out into the exhaust but that's just a guess.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Dam Tommy, I thought I was having bad luck. I have the same thing going on as well. I put a catch can in, and it has been halping, but I still loose a bit and the catch can is dry. I am going to be sending the heads out to TEA and hope that fixes it. While it is torn apart I will be lookign at the whole motor and might be replacing the rings.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:35 AM
9 Second Club

UPDATE: i pulled the plugs today and every one of them was bone dry. a little on the white side so i think its running a tad lean but i dont know what to do now. i put a new pcv in and ill see if it stops. if not ill try a catch can. i dont know where the hell else it could be going.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im pretty sure its the Pcv. My car ate oil after the FAST 90. I switched to breather and it went away. My car is real low mile also.