Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the pan come off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 03:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will the pan come off?

Well I was changing my cam, all went well until i changed my oil pump. I accidentally dropped the pickup tube bolt and my wrench into the pan. I tried to get them out with a strong magnet on a piece of metal but both fell deeper. I think the only option is dropping the pan.

Since my bolts are almost already all the way off, can i just remove them the resst of the way and pull the pan out, or is this impossible without pulling out the engine or anything else?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I bought my car the pan had a hairline crack in it. I was able to get it out by removing the motor mount bolts hoisting up the engine as far as it goes, and losening up the cradle bolts to drop the cradle about 2 inches. Its still a P.I.L.A. I would try droping the pan as far as you can the see if you can get your hand down in there. Just my .02 Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Well I was changing my cam, all went well until i changed my oil pump. I accidentally dropped the pickup tube bolt and my wrench into the pan. I tried to get them out with a strong magnet on a piece of metal but both fell deeper. I think the only option is dropping the pan.

Since my bolts are almost already all the way off, can i just remove them the resst of the way and pull the pan out, or is this impossible without pulling out the engine or anything else?
Leave them in the pan and just get a new bolt. I've done worse before.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think I would do that!!! Thats just me though.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:00 AM
10 Second Club

good luck getting that pan off.. if it was just a bolt id probably leave it.. but since you managed to get a wrench in there good luck haha. sorry to hear about your luck
Old 11-20-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you decided, don't leave that crap in there. Best bet would be to pull the motor. When you figure in all the time it takes to lift the body, drop the k-member a couple inches and hoist the motor you might as well just lift the body off the k member completely and put the engine on a stand. While its out replace the rod bolts and get a new gasket for the pan. I can guarantee you'll get a bad oil leak if you try doing everything with the motor in the car.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you dont need to pull the hole motor apart, but you are going to have to pull the motor up with a cherry pckr so you can take off the oil pan. i wouldnt leave anything in there if i were you. besides you just need to pick up the motor a few inches, it wont take long either.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

let us know how it goes!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Banned

unbolt the motor mounts and lift the motor as high as u can get it and drop the pan down onto the k member. I dropped two lifters down into my pan. go invest in some pen magnets and fish them out through the front. you might have to take your radiator out so u can sit up and look thru the front. dont leave that **** in there!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Why would anyone leave a bolt in their oil pan? If that gets caught in anything, it would mean death of the engine easily.

I ended buying a magnetic pickup tool and luckily it did the trick even though ive never had good luck with them. I pulled the wrench and bolt out within seconds, I was surprised. I ended up dropping that bolt at least 10 more times before finally getting it in. I hope to god i didnt pinch that o-ring (it looked line up the last time i saw it before tightening down so i think i should be good).

Last edited by pHEnomIC; 11-20-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow you are Lucky!!! Good luck with the o ring!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ricethis98
unbolt the motor mounts and lift the motor as high as u can get it and drop the pan down onto the k member. I dropped two lifters down into my pan. go invest in some pen magnets and fish them out through the front. you might have to take your radiator out so u can sit up and look thru the front. dont leave that **** in there!
i've done a cam swap or two, and i'm pretty sure you can't slide the cam in, nor out with the radiator there....maybe i never caught onto some magic LS1 trick??

good luck getting it finished up Jon, are you going to be tuning it yourself, or getting it done?...i know a certain sponsor on our other board with a mustang dyno
Old 11-20-2006, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS4Matt
good luck getting it finished up Jon, are you going to be tuning it yourself, or getting it done?...i know a certain sponsor on our other board with a mustang dyno
Haha know who you are talking about and I am considering it. I was planning on doing it myself with hptuners because i will do some more modding down the road but I will keep it tin mind.