Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on the art of the shortblock!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on the art of the shortblock!

LAtely ive been thinking of building a new shortblock for my car. And last night I believe my motor bit the dust on me. So I guess building a new one is in my near future.
I plan on buying everything and building it myself. So help me make out a "shortblock checklist" of things I need to buy to build a complete shortblock.
I could post my list so far, but I d like to see your guys lists to compare to mine. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS144
LAtely ive been thinking of building a new shortblock for my car. And last night I believe my motor bit the dust on me. So I guess building a new one is in my near future.
I plan on buying everything and building it myself. So help me make out a "shortblock checklist" of things I need to buy to build a complete shortblock.
I could post my list so far, but I d like to see your guys lists to compare to mine. Thanks.

its alot easier to just buy a new block. it takes of alot of knowledge to properly assemble a good block besides all the tools to make it happen. id say call LME, SPDC and other good know reliable vendors and get a quote, think my friend got a forged 346 for a bit over 2k a while back.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

buy lower milage LQ4 2001+ 6.0. replace rod bolts, LS2 chain, TSP pump. cost you well under $2000
Old 11-20-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cop Car
buy lower milage LQ4 2001+ 6.0. replace rod bolts, LS2 chain, TSP pump. cost you well under $2000
that is a great idea.that way you'll have a few more cubes and great potential.you can also go for an ls2 shortblock but there would be a few extra things needed for the conversion.if you decide to rebuild the motor yourself your car will probably be down alot longer than you expect it to take also.