Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Afr Vs Tea Who Makes More Power

Old 11-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afr Vs Tea Who Makes More Power

Thanks for the info one other thing. I currently have afr 225 out of the box and was thinking about either having them ported or actually buying some heads from tea. Is the deck height difference on the afr actually helping the situation because the flow numbers on the afrs are much lower than the TEAs. The heads are on a 408 and i was told that the runners are too small for the motor? Thanks for you help
Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Default Afr

AFR
Old 11-26-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Keep your AFRs. The grass is not always green on the other side.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made pretty good power with my TEA's, I think if you were starting out again this would a good question. The all out TEA setup I have saves some money over an all out AFR setup. But since you already have the AFR's I'd keep them.

My 388 all bore makes 475 to the wheels on a mustang dyno with a nine inch, small cam, cats, SLP dual/dual with a homemade intermediate pipe and a TPIS oval 90mm intake (not fast), 1 3/4's headers so I'm leaving alot of power on the table. I'm VERY impressed with the TEA's, I think they are the key to the engine doing so well. But I would be interested to see what a ported FAST and all out AFR's with a big cam would do....
Old 11-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Suspended Sponsor

I would give the guys at TEA a call and see what they can do with your AFR's I have seen some amazing numbers for AFR heads worked by TEA, they actually have some flow numbers posted on the website,www.totalengineairflow.com .
Old 11-26-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Order 66
Keep your AFRs. The grass is not always green on the other side.
I agree, its not about peak numbers....unless you plan on just having dyno battles all day. lmao
Old 11-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do more homework and use the search feature....and dont base this decision on flow numbers....TEA doesnt use the same type of testing equipment for their advertised flow data. It's like comparing two vehicles....one tested on a Mustang dyno, the other on a dynoJet....makes for useless information to draw conclusions from.

You already have a very efficient high flowing cylinder head....save your money and put it towards a better intake, exhaust, etc. etc. You will be far better off in the long run. Look at the power my 383 makes with a good combination and attention to the other details of the build....thats where yuo need to focus your efforts. My heads are straight out of the box 225's which arent even as effective on a 3.900 bore and still kick butt in my combo....

Good luck...

Tony
Old 11-26-2006, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bottlebabyWS6
I am just getting ready to pull my heads to put a new shortblock in and I have 225 cc and was possibly looking to have them ported and polished. The only things is how much power is still left on the table? Any suggestions would be appreciated

seeing that you have a 408.... if it we're my 408 this is what i would do if i wanted more power:

yank the intake and heads off... sell them, and buy some L92 heads, and an L76 intake.....since your into flow numbers take a look at my heads here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/602800-l92-flow-results-manifold.html
I hope to have some real world first impressions in the next week or so (damn holidays lol)

If this isn't an option for you: I wouldn't touch the 225's (assuming they are AFR's) if I were you.

good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why do you guys think the afr's are the end all be all of cylinder heads?there is plenty of room for improvement in the hands of a skild porter.
i would have your afr's ported.hell my dart 225' are geting ported right now and there going on a stock ci motor
Old 11-27-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

to better understand you and to help we need all info on the entire engine specs

Search this Thread