Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help taking out motor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help taking out motor!!!

Ok, i have pulled motors on other vehicles before but this is my first LS1 and i need some help. I dont have a lift but i do have access to one. I know that the easiest way is to drop it out the bottom, but is there a way i can get it through the top and not pull my hair out and break S@$% in the process. If so PLEASE TELL ME. Thanks for the help steve
Old 11-26-2006, 09:59 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

it seems pretty straight forward, i just bought a book that gives pretty much step by step on how to do it, its called how to build high performance chevy ls1/ls6s by will handzel. go to your local book store and get it, has some good info in there and makes pulling and engine out seem like a breeze.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think you would still have to cut into the radiator support even if you seperated the engine and tranny. Really is lifting the body so hard? Just get some friends to help.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by THROTTLEJUNKIES
Ok, i have pulled motors on other vehicles before but this is my first LS1 and i need some help. I dont have a lift but i do have access to one. I know that the easiest way is to drop it out the bottom, but is there a way i can get it through the top and not pull my hair out and break S@$% in the process. If so PLEASE TELL ME. Thanks for the help steve
You can pull the heads and front cover and lift it out the top, still a pain though.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:56 AM
Teching In

I pulled one out the top once and out the bottom about 20 times.

Its very dooable but it takes twice as long. You're going to have to pull the fans, radiator, and all the accessories and then it'll squeeze out of there.

But why it takes half the time out the bottom.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im pulling mine out the top. Simply becasue I dont have the tools to get it high enough to drop it, or the space to drop it. Its not too bad, but while taking it out the top I can see how it would be easier to drop it instead.