Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter's WONT stay up

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Lifter's WONT stay up

Im in the middle of my 3rd cam swap (NOT BY CHOICE) As seen here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback/590290-anyone-else-happen-get-bad-futral-cam-new-cams-sent-long-time-ago.html
Anyways, my point is, this time i needed to use the 5/16's tool because this is the 1st time i actually have the heads on while doing the cam.
So, when i insurted the tool's and spun the cam, i can see the lifter's still riding the cam Whhhyyyy???? I thought ones the tool's were in thats it, no movement. I inserted a push rod to the top of the head to check the rest that i am not able to see, and sure enough three more are still riding the cam.

Note: This was a wooden 5/16's tool, after that failed i went out and got my self some metal 5/16's... Those dont fit, i will have to shave down an edge down the whole thing i guess...

My buddy just did a cam swap in his WS6 last week and used the wooden 5/16's and it worked fine, but im Mr Lucky ... Is it do to the fact that i have an LS6 block by any chance?

Thanks Guy's, any input would be GREAT!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spin the cam first, then insert the tool. If you get the aluminum rods from home depot shaving them is easy. If the wood slides in before you spin the cam it's not big enough - remember you are only trying to catch the small shoulder on the lifters so the tolerance needs to be close.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Spin the cam first, then insert the tool. If you get the aluminum rods from home depot shaving them is easy. If the wood slides in before you spin the cam it's not big enough - remember you are only trying to catch the small shoulder on the lifters so the tolerance needs to be close.
Yea i went to Osh and got the metal rods but they didnt fit, by that time i was frustrated though So my plan was to shave them down tommorow, im glad you just reasured me im soppose to do that...

The reason i have been so lost, is do to the fact that everyone i have talked to has been telling me the tool is soppose to go under the lifter... Im no rocket scientist but, that cam is almost an inch from the hole the tool is inserted in...
So thank you for clearing that up for me too Its the small sholder that im shooting for...

Im just terrified of droping a lifter... I DO NOT want to pull that oil pan...
Old 12-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TWISTEDTA
Yea i went to Osh and got the metal rods but they didnt fit, by that time i was frustrated though So my plan was to shave them down tommorow, im glad you just reasured me im soppose to do that...

The reason i have been so lost, is do to the fact that everyone i have talked to has been telling me the tool is soppose to go under the lifter... Im no rocket scientist but, that cam is almost an inch from the hole the tool is inserted in...
So thank you for clearing that up for me too Its the small sholder that im shooting for...

Im just terrified of droping a lifter... I DO NOT want to pull that oil pan...

..but it builds CHARACTER!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

If you only have a few lifters riding the cam you should just go to autozone pick up a pen magnet and pul the lifters up while you insert the tool
Old 12-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Use a 3/8" dowel. I bought some 5/16" and it didn't look like it was going to catch very well. The 3/8 was better but I bet I could have gone on size bigger. I am testing the dowel on a bare block though so, I may be wrong. I will know Friday for sure. Pen magnets are cheap insurance. If you drop a lifter and then think "If I had spent $30 on magnets I wouldn't be in this mess" You'll be doing this
Old 12-06-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Pen magnets are cheap insurance. If you drop a lifter and then think "If I had spent $30 on magnets I wouldn't be in this mess" You'll be doing this
Not always. My friend used some pen magnets and the magnet of the pen was stuck to the lifter when he pulled the magnet handle out
Old 12-06-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Nope wasn't saying to use all pen magnets just to get the final lifters that won't stay up long enough to put the rod dowl in. but yes they are cheap insurance indeed. btw i used break line and it worked great but that was just me
peace
ricky
Old 12-06-2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by keliente
Not always. My friend used some pen magnets and the magnet of the pen was stuck to the lifter when he pulled the magnet handle out
Ewwww, that would suck!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

just checking here.. but you removed the pushrods right?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Launching!

OUCH! Thats what happens when you go with Cheap insurance i guess...
Old 12-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Use a 3/8" dowel. I bought some 5/16" and it didn't look like it was going to catch very well. The 3/8 was better but I bet I could have gone on size bigger. I am testing the dowel on a bare block though so, I may be wrong. I will know Friday for sure. Pen magnets are cheap insurance. If you drop a lifter and then think "If I had spent $30 on magnets I wouldn't be in this mess" You'll be doing this
No way bro, i dont believe it.... My metal 5/16's dont even fit, im going to have to shave an edge off tommorow. Just read the 2nd post (or 3rd)
Old 12-06-2006, 11:52 PM

Hmm, I will know for sure Friday. I am using a 6.0L truck (iron) block. Don't know if they are a little different. Hell, maybe I'm sticking it in the wrong hole. (That's open to a lot of comments)
Old 12-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Hmm, I will know for sure Friday. I am using a 6.0L truck (iron) block. Don't know if they are a little different. Hell, maybe I'm sticking it in the wrong hole. (That's open to a lot of comments)
Lol... I dont want to start a flame war on my thread Maybe after i figure out my problem haha

It must be different man... The wholes look bigger then what they actually are.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

I've seen in other threads where the dowels dont hold up all of the lifters. I think it is good that you have to shave some off. Just dont shave too much. The pen magnet is a good idea, a buddy uses them for all of his cam swaps. Though after reading keliente's post I would check them with something else in the garage a few times...
Old 12-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NSTY WS6
I've seen in other threads where the dowels dont hold up all of the lifters. I think it is good that you have to shave some off. Just dont shave too much. The pen magnet is a good idea, a buddy uses them for all of his cam swaps. Though after reading keliente's post I would check them with something else in the garage a few times...
Yea i was thinking of double sercurity for today. Maybe a few pen magnets & the dowels. I will deff check the pen magnets first though, that would suuuck
Old 12-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Proceed carefully..

The rods are NOT designed to "hold the lifters up"; they are simply there to "catch" them from falling into the motor, IF THE LIFTER TRAY FAILS TO HOLD THEM UP DURING THE CAM SWAP.

The above is your real issue, your lifter trays are worn, not holding them. If you start pulling the cam, even if you get the rods in, you'll have a mess on your hands. When you spin the cam, are you really giving it a good, hard spin, in both directions? You are trying to "throw" them up into the plastic tray.

You need to either a: get the lifters to stay in the trays (i.e. when you spin the cam you see no movement), or b: use magnets or other methods to retain the lifters.

On my swap, the lifters were so firm I had to push down on the P-rods to get them un-seated.

Good luck!!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

yeah that same thing happened to me when i stuck the magnet down to see if i could find any of the little needle bearings when my rocker arm fell apart. i dont know how it got so stuck on the lifter. i wasnt so mad, because i was takin off the head to see anyway. turned out there were no bearings there either.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Proceed carefully..

The rods are NOT designed to "hold the lifters up"; they are simply there to "catch" them from falling into the motor, IF THE LIFTER TRAY FAILS TO HOLD THEM UP DURING THE CAM SWAP.

The above is your real issue, your lifter trays are worn, not holding them. If you start pulling the cam, even if you get the rods in, you'll have a mess on your hands. When you spin the cam, are you really giving it a good, hard spin, in both directions? You are trying to "throw" them up into the plastic tray.

You need to either a: get the lifters to stay in the trays (i.e. when you spin the cam you see no movement), or b: use magnets or other methods to retain the lifters.On my swap, the lifters were so firm I had to push down on the P-rods to get them un-seated.

Good luck!!
They after market morels, thats probably why they dont stay up

So, these "Other Method's" you speak of.... Do tell, Im willing to try almost anything.... I really dont want a lifter to fall...

Thank You
Old 12-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Ahh, I should edit my post. Don't know of any other way to retain the lifters, other than pulling the heads and eliminate the issue.

I guess try to buy the best pen magnets you can find!

The extensions used on magnetic screwdrivers seem to be heavy-duty, I guess you could buy 16 screwdrivers!

Quick Reply: Lifter's WONT stay up