Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed oil pump : what should happen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed oil pump : what should happen?

What would happen if the oil pump failed and you continued to run the engine? Basically, if the check valve stuck open and you had no oil pressure. Would it :

a) cause damage to your lifters and wear down your cam?
b) cause damage to your bearings and crank?
c) both?

My engine blew up a few months ago and basically what was found was that there was damage to the lifters and cam, suspecting it was the oil pump. A GM mechanic is claiming that (b) should happen. I'm not so sure both didn't happen. What other explanation could there be for damage to lifters and the cam? Could faulty installation of the cam be the source? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Failed oil pump : what should happen?

Ouch!! Sorry to hear your engine cratered. If the oil pump went out, I would expect engine damage be more severe in the bottom end. I believe that most of the oil is lubricating the top end when running, but I could be wrong. Of course overeall damage done depends on how long the car ran without oil pressure. If the damage is localized to the cam and lifters, I would suspect a bad cam install. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with 5litre eater damage from pump failure would affect rods and mains first, what caused bypass to stick open is what needs to be determined, possibilities: shedding of metal fragments from cam or lifters, or partial failure of lifters(needle bearings,etc.) or cleanliness issues from workmanship of installer. I believe the answer will be in the inspection of oil pump itself. Good luck
Old 01-12-2002, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys. So it sounds like it wasn't the oil pump that caused the failure, something else failing then caused the oil pump to fail. Right now, I'm suspecting the lifters were worn and/or didn't mate well with the cam and they were wiped out (6 of them, seems like alot), and then after that the oil pump may have been clogged. But as far as I know, the oil pressure gauge never dropped, so that was always a bit iffy.

Quick Reply: Failed oil pump : what should happen?