Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well...tomarrows the day!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well...tomarrows the day!!

Im FINALLY about done with my cam/oil pump/timing chain/spring install. I got everything back together today except for the radiator. im going to throw that in tomarrow, and fire her up. For you guys that have been following the many threads ive started in the past week, my crank is still making that weird noise when i turn it over. its gotten a LITTLE quiter and still does not get harder to turn at any point. we'll see what happens with that.

One question before i start it, when i was putting the rockers back on, i noticed that the rocker all the way in the back on both sides sits at a little different angle then the rest. Is that normal?? i tried looking at some pictures, but i couldnt really tell.

Thanks to everyone whos helped me out in the past week. i really appreciate the help that ive recieved, all the cool tricks i picked up.

Wish me luck!! Ill post up some results after i start it tomarrow.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:48 PM
12 Second Club

When i did my swap i forgot the waterpump gaskets and couldnt wait so i started it up with out the radiator or pump just for a bit, i got impatient...lol...I dont remember my rockers sitting different but i dont remember very well......I know they are supposed to be dumby proof as long as u tightend them right the they will seat thems selfs correctly on the pushrods and valves.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^thats what i thought. they sat themselves fine, and tightened down perfectly.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
^^thats what i thought. they sat themselves fine, and tightened down perfectly.
It was probably just the angle you were looking at them from.

...Maybe you should do a compression test before firing it up. You should definitely be building some cylinder pressure if the spark plugs are in and the heads are torqued down. Can you hear the cylinder charge "hiss" when you turn it over by hand?

I know how excited you must be but be patient and make sure everything is all set.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea its definetly building pressure. i can here it hiss a little. Is that good? i torqued the rockers down, then i turned the crank over 3 full turns, it definetly built pressure and got hard to turn. i then checked the rockers again, and everything looked good.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

just did my cam install and yes the rockers were in different locations

when u do get it running let me know what ur oil pressure is at ... i did pretty much the same mods as u with a slightly smaller cam .... and my oil pressure is pretty high i think .... post up and get a vid of the sound of er!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssexorz
just did my cam install and yes the rockers were in different locations

when u do get it running let me know what ur oil pressure is at ... i did pretty much the same mods as u with a slightly smaller cam .... and my oil pressure is pretty high i think .... post up and get a vid of the sound of er!!!
awesome thanks for letting me know. unfortunatly i wont be able to post up a vid because im a poor college student and dont have a video camera haha. but i will definetly let you know where the oil pressure it at.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

kkk

yeah i was puttin rockers on and had that same question cuz one of them went a totally dfferent angle than the rest ... but its fine ... mine runs good so i guess its fine

but i'm just a lil concerned about my oil pressure cuz well it idles at like 70 psi and after hitting higher rpms it kinda goes to and past 80 ... haha ... just pm me when ya find out what pressure ur running

and poor college kid .... well .... SAME BOAT .... 20 years old full time college kid working 40 hours a week on the side .... (my roomate has a camera tho)!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^same here man, im taking on 12 credits and working at LEAST 40 hours a week. it sucks! but gotta the bills. damn 70 psi at idle. well at least you know for sure you didnt pinch the o-ring! yeah ill send you a PM tomarrow night after i get of work and let you know wheres my oil pressure been at.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

good luck man...glad to help along the way...i am ordering all of my goodies today (heads and all) so...I will start keeping tabs on my work as I go...cam is already in BTW....i checked and double checked that oil pump o ring too...NO WAY i pinched it...the pick up tube slid right in like sex man...ahh

I cant wait for your car to turn on its own!

Youre gunna be stoked
E
Old 12-13-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck Derek,
Gald to see things are coming together for you.
Chirs
Old 12-13-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks chris,
for anyone doing a cam install soon, BUY 618Hawk's crank install tool. That thing made pressing the crank pulley back on the easiest part of the whole install.

check back in a couple hours for results, im heading out there now to get started.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

this oil pressure thing is interesting me too! I want to know what happens, the suspense is killing me! hurry up! I mean no take your time do it right! but get it running!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well guys i just attented to fire it up. I turned it over with the coilpacks disconnected for like 5 sec. plugged in the coilpacks, and tried to start it. Just my luck, i turned it on, and i had NO oil pressure, and i heard some horrible sound in the motor, and now i cant even turn it over by hand
JUST KIDDING!!
I fired it up, and the oil pressure jumped up within 2 sec. it sat at about 60 psi until the motor wormed up. at a warm idle my oil pressure seems to be sitting at about 45psi. and with acceleration at about 60.
I took it out for a test drive, and it could not hold a steady idle at all after letting of the gas. i took it home and used the crane programmer on it, i used the 3rd cam performance setting, and turned the idle speed up a little, and now it finds idle RIGHT away, almost as good as stock. it sounds so badass! i just love driving around now and have everyone just staring at me. me and me buddy went out to eat and as we were leaving a little kid and his mom were crossing the street, and the little kid actually started to cry! i felt good and bad at the same time haha.

Im having one problem though. when i go to turn the car on, sometimes it wont start, then i take the key out, turn it again and it fires right up, but then my gauges get reset. Anyone have any idea what that could be? ignition and starter fuses are fine, and the negative battery terminal is on tight.

Thanks again for everyones help over the past week. Couldnt have done it without LS1tech!!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Badass... vids!

-J
Old 12-13-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

unfortunatly not, i dont have a video camera
Old 12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats awesome......i bet you are so excited
Old 12-13-2006, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

well sweet dude!!!

i guess i got some issues to figureo ut with my oil pressure then
Old 12-14-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hawk108
Thats awesome......i bet you are so excited
yeah man its great. i just love the look on peoples faces when im idling next to them at a light. went threw the drivethrew tonight for dinner, and the guy ordering behind me asked me to turn my car off because he couldnt hear the dude in the loudspeaker

Anybody have any idea about the car not starting sometimes. a couple of times when ive been driving, all the lights on the dash will go off, and the gauges will go crazy, and then reset. its has to be a loose wire somewhere im guessing, but anyone else have this experience?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

wssexorz after driving the car around a little more today, i have noticed the under acceleration my oil pressure does go up a little past the 60psi mark, easpecially before the engine temp gets hot. but it still idles at about 45-50psi.