Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Good CAM for my 01 ls1 camaro!

Old 12-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Good CAM for my 01 ls1 camaro!

I have a pretty much stock 01 z28 with a lid and hooker catback. I would like to install a cam in the car but dont know much about them so i thought id ask what would sound the best and give me the best results. I would like it get that rough idle sound, but yet the car will be used as a daily driver and need to be road drivable. What other mods would be good for starters for my ls1, headers? I would rather not mess with any of the computer programming stuff cause of the cost.

thanks for your advice
Old 12-19-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01bluz28
I have a pretty much stock 01 z28 with a lid and hooker catback. I would like to install a cam in the car but dont know much about them so i thought id ask what would sound the best and give me the best results. I would like it get that rough idle sound, but yet the car will be used as a daily driver and need to be road drivable. What other mods would be good for starters for my ls1, headers? I would rather not mess with any of the computer programming stuff cause of the cost.

thanks for your advice
Well your pretty much gonna need a tune if ya want a good(rough) cam to idle right.LT's,ORY,ported TB,gear. on the cam.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Well, for starters you will need to get the car tuned after a cam swap. Even better a dyno tune. There are several good cams to start with. The G5X3, MS3, or FM13 are some examples. There are bigger but it is personal preference. To take full advantage of the cam you should look at uncorking your LS1 with a lid, long tubes and catback as well. Some cams will need new springs and retainers too. At least you already have the LS6 intake to start with. You can even consider a pulley as well.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
Well, for starters you will need to get the car tuned after a cam swap. Even better a dyno tune. There are several good cams to start with. The G5X3, MS3, or FM13 are some examples. There are bigger but it is personal preference. To take full advantage of the cam you should look at uncorking your LS1 with a lid, long tubes and catback as well. Some cams will need new springs and retainers too. At least you already have the LS6 intake to start with. You can even consider a pulley as well.

Search this Thread