Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinging?

For the past couple of months I've noticed a snapping sound from under the car when under load below 1500 rpms, and then again when wot above 4500 rpms (sounds like someone is throwing sand in my engine, detonation?). I have read that pulling oil in threw the PCV system can cause pinging up top. I burn about 1/2-3/4 qts every 3500 miles.

What should I be doing to get rid of this, so far I've just seafoamed, changed my fuel filter and cleaned my maf/tb. This car has only a lid and catback (stock tune), I am gettin ready to finish off my boltons but I would like to get this sorted out first.

I plan on TR6s, an LS6 valley cover and a catch can, anything else?
Old 12-20-2006, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Any ideas?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Catch can is your best bet. This will keep that oil from getting into your intake. Most people go to Home Depot and look in the air compressor section for a small air/water separator. This will collect the oil instead of your intake. I just just used a 3/8 clear fuel filter every 1,500 miles but figured this air/water separator will save me money. It was only $15.
I used to have the same problem above 4,500. I sea foamed, got rid of the pcv at first, then later went back to it with an inline filter, got a cooler thermostat, and a tune later on with some mods, and something I did along the way totally got rid of it.