Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 C5 LS1 infamous Valvetrain TICK?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 C5 LS1 infamous Valvetrain TICK?????

I just purchased a 2001 C5 Z51 with 22,000 miles about 2 months ago and every now and then I get a strange tick that definitely sounds mechanical like a 1G lifter would on a DSM 4G63 motor (Talon, Eclipse, Laser).

Sorry for the "import" reference but I'm more familiar with these and if anyone on here can relate the sound perhaps I can fix this thing.
I think it happens more on an initial start when the car is colder but it’s somewhat random and has happened when the car is warm also. I check to make sure the oil pressure jumps up and it seems to climb at an acceptable rate when cold. However this tick can be relatively loud...... sometimes a few revs and it gets quieter or goes away sometimes it stays...

I've read through a quite few posts after searching and ; found quite a few posts relating to ticks/taps/knocks. It also seems that most of these relate to camed cars or cars with valve train work(not all however) MINE is bone stock. I have searched and read through MANY posts and just want more ADVICE on my situation with the car being under warranty

So finally my question as many others have asked but maybe not as specifically should I try and get this to be fixed under warranty(this will prove to be difficult since cars don't make noises near dealerships lol). Or just press on with my plan for Intake, Hp Tuners, Exhaust possibly a cam and just let the LS1 tick away. I'm inclined after reading that I should just deal with it but I guess I'm looking for the "fluffy bunny" answer for someone to tell me that everything is working fine and that "its supposed to do that"......

Oh on a side note it does not seem to hinder the engine at all I made 2 passes at Rockingham 3 weeks ago and the car ran strong after a three hour drive from Charleston hot lapped it because the track was near close and yielded some decent results.

1st pass 14.0@108.6 and spinning half way down the track (1st time in a rwd v8 last car was an AWD VW R32)

2nd pass 13.0@109.6 and I feel the car had more in it but I did not have time to perfect my launch.

So this is my first real post and the flame suits on since I haven’t read enough articles to have a feel for this entire forum yet so be easy on me............

Last edited by joshjnm; 12-20-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What does a
1G lifter would on a DSM 4G63 motor (Talon, Eclipse, Laser).
sound like?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Teching In

I hate explaining sounds its hard to hear it past about 1300 rpms because after that the motor is just noisy anyway. I guess it sounds like a much louder single part(lifter, rocker, rod) tick in relation to the fast "sewing machine" sound the valvtrain makes. If you were to listen to the "sewing maching" and amplify one of the rapid ticks you hear in the normal operation and slow it down to the rpm range I'm in which is idle to 1300 or so thats kinda what it would sound like.

I know thats not a very good explination but sounds are kinda hard to put into written words. I just want to prevent any wear that I can as well as prevent anything from hapening like some of the posts I've read about( engines giving out due to an intial tick).... And recommendations on taking it in for warranty work on this problem.

Thanks again and I hope that helps I know from reading this is a boring very common topic.....
Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Sorry to thread jack, but I've got this exact same problem on my Automatic 2001 C5. The car runs fine and doesn't smoke or anything like that. The car is also bone stock, with 33k miles on it. If I'm next to a wall (i.e. at a drivethrough) I can hear a really loud ticking noise coming from the wheelwells. The noise stays there as I rev the engine. I can also hear the noise from my cabin really well with the windows up if I'm getting on it [i.e. I can hear it @ wot] (I have a stock C5, so the exhaust is really quiet).

The car also has kind of a whine to it around idle (sounds almost like it's supercharged). This is an automatic car, so I don't see how it could be a valve or a pushrod (i.e. from the last owner overrevving it).

The car idles around 600rpm, and has very tiny surges @ idle (almost unnoticeable unless you drive it every day). Any ideas? Hope it's not a bearing. I was thinking it could be a pulley.

Did you ever figure it out with your C5?

Tim
Old 02-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Maybe an exhaust leak ????
Old 05-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Guys: FYI, I just had my tick worked on / fixed at the local dealership. Towns out it was the A/C Tensioner. Tick is gone now :-)

Quick Reply: 01 C5 LS1 infamous Valvetrain TICK?????