Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cam should i get?

i have a stock ls1 6 speed car right now, but this winter i plan on putting a lid, cat back, and headers on the car. i would like to put a cam in the car that will make some good power and sound good, yet maintain everyday drivability. What do you recomend, i would like not to mess with the computer. Also i have never changed a cam before, is this a project that i should take to a shop or can i manage. Ive worked on engines, trannies, etc. just not internal engines.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Default cam

ive seen people talking about LG's G5X3 and the G5X2 cams would these work or will tuning be riquired, if required do you just take it to a shop or what?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Didn't you ask this already? Just get a G5X3 and enjoy. You can NOT put in a cam and not get a tune though. It won't work! You'll have issues with all kinds of **** including idle. You can put it in yourself too. I did a H/C swap and the only prior experience I had was changing my oil. It was easy. Just be patient and be thorough. All I used was this site for the knowledge of how to do it. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

You can send the computer in for a mail order tune or get a dyno tune. I would recommend a dyno tune. I go to Speed inc in Schaumburg all the time. Great shop, great tune, very nice guys. If you have any questions email Tom there and he will help you out.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you get a dyno tune, get someone that knows what they're doing. I've heard of idiots that only tune the WOT, and not part-throttle. That's why it's kinda good that my tuner likes to street tune our cars. You get lots of part-throttle data to tune correctly.

Oh and only a fool puts a bigger cam in a car without tuning. It's part of it. If you won't retune, don't mod it.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Default thanks

Thanks for the advise, i will just get the G5X3 and take it to the nearest dyno shop, i live in Appleton, WI. Sorry i asked again just do want to spend all the money for the cam and have to spend thousands on tuning and accesorizing to make car run. Car is going to be modded check by check when i have money.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Don't worry about asking the same questions as it happens to alot of people when spending hard earned cash. What goals do you have overall? Plan it all out in the beginning in order to save money later. With that cam as well as some others be careful if you ever want to swap heads. As you will eiher need some new pistons or flycut the ones you have when switching to milled heads. Just stuff to keep in mind. Also since your in WI make friends with Speed inc as it will be a worthwhile. They do some of the best tuning in the midwest and their prices are the best. Customer service is top notch too. If you have any other questions feel free to ask them as that is why the sites here!
Old 12-23-2006, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I can simply say the biggest mistake I've ever made on my car was during my first h/c swap. I had a 224 cam, and AS stage 2.5 heads. The heads had very little clearance, but were great heads. My mistake:
I SHOULD HAVE FLYCUT THAT FIRST TIME

Because I didn't flycut, I couldn't go up to a bigger cam with those heads. So I ended up just swapping heads as well as the cam on my swap, since they had to come off anyway.

So check on it. You'll have the heads off anyway. Might as well flycut just so that you have more options in the future. It was worth every penny and every second on my 2nd swap.