Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which cam with my heads?
221/221
36.90%
233/239
63.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Keep 221/221 or go 233/239?

Old 12-23-2006, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keep 221/221 or go 233/239?

I plan on getting TSP PRC LS6 stage 1 heads in the near future. I would like your opinions on what cam I should run.

Should I keep the B1 I have 221/221 .558/.558 114 or go with TSP 233/239 .595/.603 114 (maybe get 113)

I really like the cam I have now, it sounds good at idle, and has OK power all over. I am afraid I will be wasting $ on heads if I don't get the cam to go with. I also have added the 4000 stall and bottle since my first cam. I think the 233/239 would work really well with both of those.

TIA
Old 12-23-2006, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

The bigger cam will be bad *** with those heads!! Go for it!!
Old 12-23-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BIG CAM! But why the huge LSA?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

I am keeping the LSA up there due to the A4. I will talk with my tuner as time gets closer and see what he can do with smaller.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Depends on how you want to use the car. The bigger cam will probably only get you another 12 rwhp peak and give up a decent amount in the low and midrange. If you do happen to go with the bigger cam, mill them heads down to bring your dcr back to where you want it. This will help liven up the midrange of the bigger cam.

I say if you are going with the budget heads now, stay with your current cam. Eventually you will probably do a larger motor or a larger shot of the happy juice. Save up for that, then when you do shoot for the rebuild get some top shelf heads(AFR, Trickflow, ETP, etc...) and then get a completely custom grind to your goals at the time.

I say save your money for the long run. Get the better gas mileage and driveability of the smaller cam right now and give of the 12 or so horse...at least N/A. My view probably will not be a popular one though.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

I'm a girl, you know what I'm gonna say.... LOL....
Old 12-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chino_man279
Depends on how you want to use the car. The bigger cam will probably only get you another 12 rwhp peak and give up a decent amount in the low and midrange. If you do happen to go with the bigger cam, mill them heads down to bring your dcr back to where you want it. This will help liven up the midrange of the bigger cam.

I say if you are going with the budget heads now, stay with your current cam. Eventually you will probably do a larger motor or a larger shot of the happy juice. Save up for that, then when you do shoot for the rebuild get some top shelf heads(AFR, Trickflow, ETP, etc...) and then get a completely custom grind to your goals at the time.

I say save your money for the long run. Get the better gas mileage and driveability of the smaller cam right now and give of the 12 or so horse...at least N/A. My view probably will not be a popular one though.
I agree with Chino_man here. Unless your goals are track oriented that cam wont be that great for you. Also they have better verisons of the torquer cam than that one. Your current cam will come alive with the new heads as well. I wouldnt consider those heads being wasted on that cam.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:11 AM
10 Second Club

I lost nothing down low when going from my 224 cam to the G5X3. But I admit, with the 224 I had 66cc combustion chambers. When I switched to the X3, I had my heads milled significantly. It made all the difference. It was definitely worth the extra work on the heads and pistons to make it fit with proper compression. Most people say they lose down low because they fail to properly plan their setup, and end up with weak compression.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Banned

I had my heads milled to 59cc planner guy. You lose down low and thats all there is to it.
I think your full of if your saying your cam acts the same as before. Either that or you didnt have a good tune before. I know people who say the FM13 acts like stock as well but it isnt the truth. My setup was planned from the SB to the head gaskets (by LME) and a custom cam ground for it as well to match my goals, not some off the shelf G5x3. The power kicks in later and it isnt as freindly at lower speeds. Is it driveable? Hell yes, but there is a difference and to say there is not is inaccurate information.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:35 AM
10 Second Club

I wasn't speaking to you, but you bring a good point. I think you missed that there really isn't any significant difference. As I said, it's probably because the old heads were lower compression and basically were "too much head" for the cam. Because of that, the little 224 cam wanted to act bigger than it should've. Also don't forget, the 224 cam had no advance ground in, where my current cam does. That along with proper compression made up for the difference. So yes, the tune was almost spot on as far as the 224 spun (mostly just because I'm still running Mass Air), and needed tuned more above that level. I'm sure it takes more tuning and I'd never deny that. I was only adding my 2cc to show that there are times depending on cars and setups that the drivability is the same. Not to argue. It's simply a fact of the way my car ran then and now. Everyone who rode in it both ways agrees. The only place that it runs worse is below 1800rpm. Why did it do that? Because I was a moron and failed to plan the first time around, then went 180* and planned very well the 2nd time. I didn't need a custom cam. I had 3 spec'ed out, and they all had the same valve events as my current cam. Easy enough to buy on that one! I'd seen it run and it had what I wanted. I hope that all people do like you did, and plan their setups better than I did the first time. Have a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2006, 12:43 AM
12 Second Club

N4cer were basically saying the same thing....I stated if he was to go with the bigger cam to mill the heads for the compression.

Part of planning the cam decision in this instance I would think is the fact that he already has the current cam in the motor. I would save the money and leave it in there. There is no doubt he could pick up some power, but is the minimal power gain worth the cost of another cam...I dont think so, hence I voted 221/221 in the poll. I would save the cam money and put it towards a future heads/cam/stroker/whatever build. The original poster never stated what the future plans on the motor are.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

i love my TSP 233-239 DO IT!! you will love it
Old 12-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Banned

N4cer your first setup wasn't proper and thats why you or your friends dont see a difference now. But to say there isnt a difference is wrong even if you raise the compression.

Also the t2 has good HP but terrible torque. You wont like it over your current cam.
I would select a different cam if you dont want to leave the one you have in. Best thing to do is put the new heads on, leave the current cam and see if you like the new setup. If you dont you can always swap the cam out later.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Good responses so far guys. You have really got me thinking. As far as my future engine plans, I think I might be almost done, maybe more juice. If/when things pop I have been thinking go forged, but stay stock cubes and add more juice. So this will probably be the last heads/cam I put on. I planned on the PRC heads because of the price and really can't see spending a lot more $ on heads for a little gain. Now you have me thinking that it is not worth the $400 for a cam for 12 hp gain.

With the big stall I have, does it matter that there is not much low/mid with the 233? Am I stalling past the powerband of the 221? How high would I have to spin the 233 to get the power out of it?
Old 12-24-2006, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Sad
Good responses so far guys. You have really got me thinking. As far as my future engine plans, I think I might be almost done, maybe more juice. If/when things pop I have been thinking go forged, but stay stock cubes and add more juice. So this will probably be the last heads/cam I put on. I planned on the PRC heads because of the price and really can't see spending a lot more $ on heads for a little gain. Now you have me thinking that it is not worth the $400 for a cam for 12 hp gain.

With the big stall I have, does it matter that there is not much low/mid with the 233? Am I stalling past the powerband of the 221? How high would I have to spin the 233 to get the power out of it?
Thinking about the big picture with the car is one of the best things I have learned on here. Most all of us do buildups in steps, eventually getting to where we want the car to be with some luck. There are only the lucky few who drive a car to Wheel to Wheel and say, "Do this and that, here is $20 grand, call me when it is done."

How long do you plan on running this combo if the motor does not blow? 1 year? 2 years? Personally if you are just going to run it for a year or two I would keep your cam. If the motor never blows, sell it in two years or use it as a core for a kickass rebuild. Sell the heads and set the whole motor up for spray. Getting all the details right with the eventual build will pay off big. Look at the current head swap as sort of a crutch to get you to where it will eventually be.

If the motor does blow, you are probably buying new heads and a block anyways. Who knows what kind of heads will be available at what price in a year or two. I remember when ported stock LS1 heads were $3200, not LS6, those were more. If your block ends up toasted, it makes no sense to stay stock cubes when even now you can get the aluminum L92 block which is bigger. You will end up getting a set of heads and a cam to match then also.

Maybe my view is not very clear...I do not know. Most people want power now at all cost. I say save up, and blow people off of the road in the long run. Lets be real here a 221 cammed, ported head motor is pretty damn quick in terms of street use, nitrous or not.

I am not all that familiar with stall speeds and such...I'm an M6 guy. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Like I said, people probably want to throw tomatoes at me, but you did ask for opinions....
Old 12-24-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

why would you want a cam with good low end torque/hp if you have a 4000 converter? i think with your converter you want your powerband to be up high since when you stomp on the gas thats where youll be. why would i want a cam that makes great hp/tq at 3000rpm when I have a high stall. i have the 233/239 and it works well my 3800 converter, im always in my powerband. i have my shiftpoints set at 6500 and if i wanted too i could probably raise them a little bit more. im in the market for heads in the future also and im trying to decide between the ported ls6 heads or the prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads. from my research so far im definately leaning toward the 5.3's. id check them out too if your interested in the 233/239 cam, ive heard they work real well together and theyre not that much more money then the ls6 heads.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One reason to keep power lower in the RPM range is to save your tranny. A4's can require a few hard parts to live a long life when shifted above 6000 rpm. If you can justify the cost of a rebuild later (or already have the better internals) then raising the RPM's does present the opportunity to make more power at those higher engine speeds. Otherwise, leaving the 221/221 cam in there should still work well with stock or close to stock shift points.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hammertime
One reason to keep power lower in the RPM range is to save your tranny. A4's can require a few hard parts to live a long life when shifted above 6000 rpm. If you can justify the cost of a rebuild later (or already have the better internals) then raising the RPM's does present the opportunity to make more power at those higher engine speeds. Otherwise, leaving the 221/221 cam in there should still work well with stock or close to stock shift points.
Yeah, I read that recently. One of the reasons I am nervous about spinning higher. My shift points right now are at 6350 with rev limit at 6500.

white_camaro, thank you for bringing the 5.3s to my attention. They actually seem to be cheaper the the LS6, and if I understand correctly the smaller runners would keep velocity up for less low end loss.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you don't want to spin so high, try something like a 228/232 111 108. No harder to make it behave in an A4 than your 233/239 114, but it will have a much stouter midrange. Even a 224/228 111 109 would be a nice step up from your B1 and work very well with a good tune.

** If you go with real high compression 5.3l heads, the 224/228 would work well with no advance. **
Old 12-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Launching!

I would talk to a shop about getting a custom ground cam to match the heads.

Search this Thread