Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve events

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve events

Can Someone explain to me what certain things will do. Im trying to understand basic concepts, but im not really find any good links. Also when do you say that the valve has more of a chance kissing the pistion... The valve opening or it closing?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The1N_only
Can Someone explain to me what certain things will do. Im trying to understand basic concepts, but im not really find any good links. Also when do you say that the valve has more of a chance kissing the pistion... The valve opening or it closing?
heres a sticky from the internal engine section https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/327734-cam-guide.html
You need to search, there is a lot on this. Kissing the piston is when the valve crashes into the piston. Its the result of a combination of too much duration and lift for a given engine setup. You can trash you engine if you crash the piston into the valve.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

ok... maybe not that basic lol

I want to know things like if you open the IVO and IVC sooner and later what kind of effectrs it will have on the dynamics of the engine and things of that nature
Old 12-29-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The1N_only
ok... maybe not that basic lol

I want to know things like if you open the IVO and IVC sooner and later what kind of effectrs it will have on the dynamics of the engine and things of that nature
If you close the intake valve sooner before compression your DCR will go up, if you close it later DCR goes down. I think thats right, or is my dislexia kicking in??

If you open the intake valve earlier in the exhaust stroke, you will cause more overlap in the mixture, thats where you get the lope and choppiness of a cam from, if you open it later in the exhaust stroke it will chop less.

Thats pretty basic. Like I said search around, this type of thing has been discussed a lot.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

dude, if you have an email send me one and i can send you alot of info on this. because i myself am trying to school myself on this too. this goes for anyone that see this, i have several articles saved and several calculators that will help you understand this.

schramskiwm@1mawmag12.usmc.mil

ski
Old 12-29-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

email sent