Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grey sludge on oil pan plug?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grey sludge on oil pan plug?

Just did the second oil change on my 408. The drain plug magnet had grey sludge on it, but no chunks of metal. I know a new engine will wear in for a while, however one of my new comp lifters is ticking.

Are these two things related in any way? I located the loudest valve/rocker arm/lifter by taking off the valvecover and using the old rubber hose to ear trick. Anyway, the #8 exhaust lifter is the one ticking.

I tried a different rocker arm and a longer pushrod, but I know that the lifter is the problem because of the lack of resistance when the rocker is tightened. So is this tick tick tick going to damage my engine. And if it is, should i go with the LS7 lifter or the caddie? I also changed the oil from 5w-30 mobile to 0w-40 mobile 1.

P.S. will comp cams warranty the lifter or pay for other parts damaged when one of there products fails?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

well if i had to guess that grey sludge is probably left over assembly lube from your new motor going together.. in reguards to your other questions i'd imagine you should contact comp... i wouldn't be driving it to much or to hard till you get that ticking figured out.

Quick Reply: Grey sludge on oil pan plug?