Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lets discuss PCV systems...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default lets discuss PCV systems...

i'm just curious to see what people around here are doing with their PCV systems.. i have an 02 Z28 and i'm going heads/cam on the car right now and i'd love to delete the system all together and just go with a breather system if possible... anyone feel like shining some knowledge on my ignorant ***?
Old 01-01-2007, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

search, probably seen 5 threads in dec. thousands of pictures.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Well I don't know if anyones *** is less ignorant but....a little vacuum in the engine is a good thing for many reasons, the key is to separate the oil mist out before it gets to the intake and a good catch can or filter, properly installed will do that - giving you the best of both worlds.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

Yup put in an air/oil separator. Mine does great. In fact, I'm considering making a kit for them and selling it on eBay.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

does having a cam change the way a PCV system works? i know the PCV system is operated on vacuum and a cam produces less vacuum at idle so would that present a problem? i searched a couple threads and this seems to be a biased topic. people get away with deleting it while others are calling it a necessity. i understand there is no right or wrong answer, i'm just curious to see what the cammed NA people are doing. i know the FI people are doing away with the PCV systems.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

I know if I unscrew the globe off my separator while the car is running, it takes some real effort to pull it free because of the vacuum. I think people read way too much into it, and put too much importance on it. Just go with either and you'll be fine.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by N4cer
I know if I unscrew the globe off my separator while the car is running, it takes some real effort to pull it free because of the vacuum. I think people read way too much into it, and put too much importance on it. Just go with either and you'll be fine.
fair enough... its comin off... thanks very much
Old 01-01-2007, 09:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most cars will be fine with a catch can setup . i ran one for a while but when it was still sucking oil i switched to a dual breather setup and now the intake is bone dry and only lose 1/2qt of oil between oil changes. what it really comes down to is how much or how little blowby you have
Old 01-01-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Ehh, but why do the expensive catch can when the separator is cheaper and works better?
Old 01-02-2007, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

Ehh, but why do the expensive catch can when the separator is cheaper and works better?
Catch can is a separator, if you have a set up that is cheaper and works then you're way ahead.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by qwikz28
fair enough... its comin off... thanks very much
The oil mist will smell, the oil mist will also get on everything in the engine compartment, the extra vapor, contaminants, etc. will now remain in greater quantities in the engine, the extra pressure in the engine can contribute to leaks, etc., etc.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Catch can is a separator, if you have a set up that is cheaper and works then you're way ahead.
It is? I thought it just had an inlet and an outlet, and no mechanism to physically separate the oil.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

The reason ppl delete the pcv system and go breather is because high hp cars
create tons of crank case preasure or they dont want the oil in the intake .

Oil in a a/f mixture can mess with the octain rating of the fuel and can lead to detination in boosted cars .

Big hp cars sometimes run -10 lines to a vacume pump and out to a breather catch can to evacuate the preasure's created .

If your not making stupid power you really dont need a breather can and a simple catch can will work to keep most of the oil out of the intake track .

It really depends on your setup and if you can life with oil "sometimes puddles"
in the intake .

My stroked 408 was blowing lots of oil into the intake during breakin so i used a breather can on my setup .
Old 01-02-2007, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

It is? I thought it just had an inlet and an outlet, and no mechanism to physically separate the oil.
There are pictures of internals in this thread .

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=1&pp=20
Old 01-02-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

A good catch can (like the amw, etc.) will have a mesh or some other method of catching the oil vapor out of the air steam as it passes through the mesh. The oil then falls to bottom of the can and there is usually a drain for the collected oil.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

LOL not very impressive is it? I'm talking about the ones that more people have success with. The full-blown separator. The air goes into the separator bowl on the inlet side, and the outlet side is sucked through the internal filter. So almost no oil gets through. It's commonly accepted on here that they work better than a catch can. What's up with the senseless arguing? Science itself will tell you which one works better. Here's what I'm talking about, so you can see that there's no valid argument when you compare it to the "screen" in that picture. Heck, what's that big screen got to do with oil that's so fine that it's nearly vaporized, anyway?

Old 01-02-2007, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I deleted mine and have had no problems. No oil film in the engine bay and cleaned up some of the clutter too. I noticed there was oil in my intake when I ported my throttle body and I found my breather for a nice price. I just bought some caps and bada bing.