Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling radiator

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question pulling radiator

is it necessary to pull the radiator when doing a cam swap?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes. As well as the ac condensor. No way around it.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

that's what i thought. thanks
Old 01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

another ?, can you pull the cam w/o taking the rocker arms and pushrods out?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

No way, the lifters will drop.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
yes. As well as the ac condensor. No way around it.
Just to add to this and clarify...you don't need to "remove" the ac condensor. You can move it out of the way and be just fine. You will need to remove the radiator though.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

ok since were on the topic whats the easiest way to get the lifters out? and whats the easeist way to pull the valve springs? i heard using a pen magnet would pull the lifters out ...not in my case the ****** magnet broke off down in the head took a ****** hour to get it out but i did any way help please, i also heard you have to take the plugs out to free the valve springs ...will this work
Old 01-01-2007, 11:49 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't take the rockers off you will never be able to pull that cam out of there! You will have the spring pressure of 16 springs helping hold it still. Also, You will need to pull the radiator, and hope to God you don't break one of the condenser lines when you move it. The easy way is just to discharge the system and get it out of the way. When you are done with the swap get a recharge kit or take it somewhere.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:53 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by h.o.ls1
ok since were on the topic whats the easiest way to get the lifters out? and whats the easeist way to pull the valve springs? i heard using a pen magnet would pull the lifters out ...not in my case the ****** magnet broke off down in the head took a ****** hour to get it out but i did any way help please, i also heard you have to take the plugs out to free the valve springs ...will this work
Easy way to get the lifters out is to pull the heads.
there is no easy way in other words.

Valve springs - Pull the heads and take them off with a spring compressor.
Leave the heads on and get the tool that bolts into the rocker hole and push them down and remove the lock. Slowly decompress the lift tool on the spring and take it out with the retainer sitting on top. The spark plugs have to come out because that is where you attatch the hose to get the cylinders compressed.Make sure that you fill the cylinders with air before you do it with the heads on....or you will be pulling them off to get your dropped valve.

You use the pen magnets to "hold" the lifters up when pulling the cam out. You would never be able to take them out with a magnet and the heads bolted on. Never. this is not a SBC or BBC. Lifters are 6-10 hours of work away.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
If you don't take the rockers off you will never be able to pull that cam out of there! You will have the spring pressure of 16 springs helping hold it still. Also, You will need to pull the radiator, and hope to God you don't break one of the condenser lines when you move it. The easy way is just to discharge the system and get it out of the way. When you are done with the swap get a recharge kit or take it somewhere.
I found it much easier to not discharge the system. It's fairly easy to just move it aside and let it rest on some wooden blocks. This would be a big time saver in my opinion.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:27 AM
11Second Club

I broke an A/C line trying to move the condensor out of the way. If you're A/C savvy and know how to recharge it, just take it out. If not, be careful.

As state above, the pen magnets should only be used to prevent the lifters from falling down into the cylinders. To remove them the heads have to come off. After getting the heads off the lifters are a joke to remove.

When doing a cam swap, I will always pull the heads. It's so much easier to replace the springs when the head is on a workbench instead of on the engine. It's also much nicer to be able to remove the lifters instead of worrying about whether or not they will fall.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A trick i was told by a person on here is go to like a store and get like 16 cheap magnets. Then use the magnets to hold the lifters so your positive they wont fall. So no more wories bout having to tear down the motor if a lifter falls.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

www.ls1howto.com
Old 01-02-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't discharge the AC and don't remove the heads, it's senseless.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

im not gonna remove the heads but i already dont have ac so i took it out .....i think im just gonna go with the pin magnets ...accept that the one i tried last night broke off in the head i got it out but it sucked ./..
Old 01-02-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL yeah i broke one of the AC condensor hard lines when i was trying to get the radiator out oops!. i dont see why you would need to remove the condensor? no reason for it..
Old 01-02-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just finished my first cam last week. Took me a full day, I just got rid of the A/C all together. Didn't use anything to hold up the lifters, just took out the rockers and pushrods and russian rouletted the cam out and quickly slid the new one in. Thank the good lord above it went well. If you do it that way, make sure you spin the cam a few times to make sure all the lifters are staying up.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Launching!

I just got done doing my cam install Saturday and I followed everything from LS1Howto
it was simple project. Also I rented all the tools (JRP lifter tool, Spring compressor, Air fitting) From a member on here
Old 01-02-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive never used magnets, too much cash to buy 16 of those bitches. I just bought some rod and made the lifter hold up tools, it was like 5 bucks at homie deopt. I also used a friend to hole my condensor out of the way while i slid the old cam out and slid the new one back in. Its a tight fit, but it will go, just lift the driver side up slowly till you got enough room to pull the cam. Dont knick a bearing.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

You could go out on a limb like I did the first time. Take the rockers and PR's off. Spin the cam a few good times with no pressure on them. And they will stay up in the lifter tray's. If one falls.... your screwed. But pull the cam out gently and put the other right in.
It sounds risky. But it worked for me. My car had very low miles on it as well.