Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvetrain more noisy than normal???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valvetrain more noisy than normal???

hey fellas i have a 99 SS camaro w/ full boltons and a custom grind SI2 cam 224/224 .581 .581 112 lsa..w/ 918's....i have always had a noise comin from the springs or lifters...quite frankly im not sure...but all the guys with a cam know what im talkin about....well just as of yest. i seem to have a little bit more noise(louder click) comin from th left bank(if ur standin in front) . now my car just flipped over 60k and those springs have been in there since around 20kish(dont know the exact date thats when i bought the car...the guy told me he hadnt had the install done long)....i have had my car close to 3 years now and never had anything go wrong like this....funny thing is it still drives normal...it doesnt seem to have lost power...i can just here that clickin on the inside of my car now and i dont remem. it being that loud(its not rediculosly loud but noticable to me)...if somone could give me insight on what u may think it might be that would be great....im thinkin possibly a spring(or 2), lifter, rocker
Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's noticeably louder than the other side? I'd pull the valve cover first to make sure nothing is visually wrong in there. If everything checks out and the rocker bolts are all torqued down properly and you still have the noise then I might think a lifter is starting to bleed down. Maybe the pushrod length is off a bit causing the lifter to bleed down?

Have you changed out your heads?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:12 AM
11Second Club

I would crack open the valve covers and have a look at the springs. If a spring is broken, you should replace them. If all the springs look okay, you should still replace them after as long as they've been on there. If the noise continues, I would consider replacing the lifters and/or checking the timing chain to see if the bolts backed out of the cam gear. I thought I had valvetrain issues until I found out that the cam bear bolts had backed out. Long story short, I found out too late and a rebuild of the entire engine followed. Don't drive it hard until you find out what's going on.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
It's noticeably louder than the other side? I'd pull the valve cover first to make sure nothing is visually wrong in there. If everything checks out and the rocker bolts are all torqued down properly and you still have the noise then I might think a lifter is starting to bleed down. Maybe the pushrod length is off a bit causing the lifter to bleed down?

Have you changed out your heads?
na...im STILL payin on the car.....thats my next major buy(after a rearend of course)
Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gauge
I would crack open the valve covers and have a look at the springs. If a spring is broken, you should replace them. If all the springs look okay, you should still replace them after as long as they've been on there. If the noise continues, I would consider replacing the lifters and/or checking the timing chain to see if the bolts backed out of the cam gear. I thought I had valvetrain issues until I found out that the cam bear bolts had backed out. Long story short, I found out too late and a rebuild of the entire engine followed. Don't drive it hard until you find out what's going on.
GREAT!!! thats all i need to hear....BTW im stationed in AR but i just drove home back to SC 2 days ago 10hr+ drive
Old 01-02-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

it wasnt doin that on the way home....just noticed it the next morning when i went to start it up
Old 01-02-2007, 11:19 AM
11Second Club

I'd be inclined to agree with Xtnct00WS6 about it being a lifter. However, I don't want to see anyone go through what I went through, so definitely check the timing gear if you have any trouble identifying the problem. I was so sure I heard the noise on one side when my timing gear was loose, but it wasn't anything wrong with the valvetrain.