Sponsored by:

Help - Starter Wiring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Starter Wiring Problem

Okay,

I just finished installed my MTI Stage II heads / cam package and finally reinstalled the SLP long tube headers, Corsa exhaust system, etc. When you install SLP headers you have to modify the main wiring harness on teh passenger side due to clearance issues. I made the modifications 3 years ago and have never had a problem.

Well, while doing the heads / cam swap I noticed my wiring harness to the starter was taking a lot of heat and beginning to melt the wiring insulation and heat shielding (I added) so I rerouted the 3 wires going to the starter by adding 30" of wire to the small purple, small grey and larger rust colored wires that tie onto the starter solenoid. I also rerouted the main battery lead by adding 30" of wire to it. I used similar or larger gauge wire for each lead and used crimp-style connectors.

My problem - when I hooked up the battery in preparation for starting the new engine the starter just spins away under it's own.

Any of you electrical guru's have some suggestions on what I did wrong? Really appreciate your time and help - I am not an electrical guru by the way.

Thanks,
Larry