Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help!!!!!

Wow... What a morning. So, for the past few days a friend and I have been working on the car. Installed a new TC, new headers and poly motor mounts. All went well until I was trying to mount my new trans cooler and slipped and put a hole in the radiator (dont ask) . Not a large hole, and not in the main cooler tubes but on one of the smaller fins on the outside.

So, we go to AutoZone and get some radiator leak fix hoping the hole is small enough to be patched. We put in the fix and let the car idle for 30 minutes, per instructions. A weird thing happens. The car won't heat up. (at least we think). The gauge inside sits all the way to the left and doesnt move the entire time. The radiator continues to leak and we add more water. After 30 minutes of idling, the radiator is ice cold and the fans are still running. I only work a few miles from the house.... so I think, well, it didnt heat up for thirty minutes of idling last night, no way I will have a problem for a few miles to work right? Wrong. On my way to work, I start losing oil pressure steadily and when I get to a light, the car dies. No oil pressure. I get it started again and it seems to be running ok when I am cruising. Then I hear a kind of clanging noise, but only intermittently. I get to work and it is smoking white smoke out the exhaust.

I know I will be chastised (especially on this board) for my lack of discretion. But I took what the gauges gave me and now I see that was a mistake. I need some help with this and guidance. New radiator is already on its way. Is that my only problem? Is my engine overheating? Or is there something else wrong? Dont be too harsh on me.....
Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Does it still not show any oil pressure?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZmyHPandrun
Wow... What a morning. So, for the past few days a friend and I have been working on the car. Installed a new TC, new headers and poly motor mounts. All went well until I was trying to mount my new trans cooler and slipped and put a hole in the radiator (dont ask) . Not a large hole, and not in the main cooler tubes but on one of the smaller fins on the outside.

So, we go to AutoZone and get some radiator leak fix hoping the hole is small enough to be patched. We put in the fix and let the car idle for 30 minutes, per instructions. A weird thing happens. The car won't heat up. (at least we think). The gauge inside sits all the way to the left and doesnt move the entire time. The radiator continues to leak and we add more water. After 30 minutes of idling, the radiator is ice cold and the fans are still running. I only work a few miles from the house.... so I think, well, it didnt heat up for thirty minutes of idling last night, no way I will have a problem for a few miles to work right? Wrong. On my way to work, I start losing oil pressure steadily and when I get to a light, the car dies. No oil pressure. I get it started again and it seems to be running ok when I am cruising. Then I hear a kind of clanging noise, but only intermittently. I get to work and it is smoking white smoke out the exhaust.

I know I will be chastised (especially on this board) for my lack of discretion. But I took what the gauges gave me and now I see that was a mistake. I need some help with this and guidance. New radiator is already on its way. Is that my only problem? Is my engine overheating? Or is there something else wrong? Dont be too harsh on me.....

Just a WAG, but it sounds like you managed to stop leak yout thermostat and have NO coolant flowing out of your block. So now you have Cooked your engine. The loss of oil pressure, clanging, and smoke shows that.

Hammer
Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

No oil PSI and a clanging noise. Possible motor rebuild could be in your future.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sadly im gonna have to agree here. dosnt sound good. Oil pressure drop plus a rod knock = new motor time, atleast from the sound of it. Pull yoru thermostat and replace it, or even remove it. Start back up and see how she is. Might also be a waterpump issue, but not so likely.