Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Problems and stroker q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Problems and stroker q's

Well the engine light came on in my car havent had time to scan, saturday car was a quart of oil low, so I put a quart in checked today and that quart is gone already. Quart low again, oil smells really burned.

No rod knock yet but I can hear a tick in the motor, Wednesday when Im off Im going to my dads shop and we are going to check into it and see what the problems are, if in fact the motor is going what are my options for a decent budget stroker.

I figure if Im going to tear it apart Im not going to just rebuild it to factory specs, Im going to go ahead and do a budget stroker.

Let me know what you guys think my best options are.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, if so mods please move to approiate area.

All feedback is appreciated.

Kenny
Old 01-08-2007, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

My car was starting to burn a little oil, I think it was the rings, so instead of tearing it apart to rebuild it stock I went with a 402 stroker. Some guys go with a 408 (iron block) for a few hundred less instead of the 402. I did not want the extra hundred pounds in the nose of the car so I bought the 402. Figure on spending about 6000 for all the extras like: shipping, a bigger cam, new pushrods, gaskets, new fuel pump, larger injectors, LS7 clutch and a tune will be needed.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Well I can get all my parts at wholesale as I have a tax Id and my dads business etc. What do you think would be my best setup that would achieve around 400-500 rwhp tuned??
Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

First I am no expert and you should definitely do some searching on what it would take to reach your goals. Make sure you have a goal in mind like 500hp, 10.xx or faster, 1G or better grip to name some. Once you have the goal do some searching to see what others did to reach a similar level. As for 400 rwhp a 408 or 402 with stock heads and a baby cam (ls6) sould be no problem. Just remember that the bigger the motor is the smaller the cam acts, so a T-Rex like cam in a 350 will be rough to drive on the street but it might be a good DD with a larger motor. 500rwhp is not a hard goal to reach on a 402/408 it just takes some planing. Look into some stage 2/3 heads, a decent cam around 240 or 250 duration and 112 LSA for the street. You are going to need bigger injectors also if you plan to make more than 400 rwhp. 36 pounders for a mild set up and 42 pounders if you plan on making 500+. Don't for get a new fuel pump - you dont want to blow up a new motor by leaning it out. Plus you still have all those other odds and ends like the tune, clutch and misc little parts to worry about.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And a rearend..