Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil flow route through cooler port?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil flow route through cooler port?

I have a 2001 Silverado with the 5.3L and I want to install an oil cooler and a bypass oil filter. I want to use the port the factory uses for the cooler by the oil filter, and adapters for this are cheap.

I'm wondering about how the oil flow works from this location. Since it is normally blocked off it must not need much flow right? Is there any problem with restricting this port with excess plumbing? Or, say, I forget to pre-fill the filter with oil. Will it be OK for this oil source to be dry for a few seconds while the filter fills with oil? Can I use a thermostat that blocks it off entirely until the engine is warm?
Old 05-01-2021, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 250 Likes on 188 Posts

Why not get some factory oil cooler lines for your truck?

Part number 20828695, $53.79 on Rockauto.
They're guaranteed to be a perfect fit.
The following users liked this post:
Number21 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-01-2021, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

The bypass cover on the oil pan is after the oil filter. Check out https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...l#&gid=1&pid=1

You could use a GM 2500 factory oil cooler line set $50. I don't remember if they have a built in thermostat or what temp it's set at.

I personally don't install an oil filter without filling it first. Even then, since all the oil has drained from the upper galleys in the block (since removing filter with ADBV), it takes 3sec before pressure builds up. That's 50 revolutions at 1000rpm.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:44 PM
Teching In

I really don't want to use the factory adapter and lines. If I pull oil from this location, do I need to be careful about starving other areas for oil if the flow is not enough? Or does it not matter at all? For example, with a bypass filter, the oil flow will be greatly reduced. I also may use a thermostat which would completely block flow until warm. Does oil *ALAWAYS* need to flow through this port or is it just "extra"? I know they make aftermarket plates for this port that have a built in thermostat, but I don't know if they just shut off oil flow or bypass it.

I have seen the factory lines available for cheap, but I don't want to use the factory oil cooler (in the rad), and the OE lines do not work with a bypass filter and I don't really want to modify them.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

What did you see/learn from the diagram link provided? Your answer is there.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
What did you see/learn from the diagram link provided? Your answer is there.
No need to be a condescending about it. I looked at the link and the diagram, the question still stands unchanged. The thread linked literally has nothing to do with what I asked and the diagram does not show how oil would flow through what I am asking.

Last edited by Number21; 05-02-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:13 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,367 Likes on 2,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Number21
I have a 2001 Silverado with the 5.3L and I want to install an oil cooler and a bypass oil filter. I want to use the port the factory uses for the cooler by the oil filter, and adapters for this are cheap.

I'm wondering about how the oil flow works from this location. Since it is normally blocked off it must not need much flow right? Is there any problem with restricting this port with excess plumbing? Or, say, I forget to pre-fill the filter with oil. Will it be OK for this oil source to be dry for a few seconds while the filter fills with oil? Can I use a thermostat that blocks it off entirely until the engine is warm?
The Oem plate is not a block-off plate...per-say. It’s an adapter plate thats hollow, which moves oil across from the port out of the filter, into the passage that feeds the engine. You block either of these off, and you have no oil pressure. Oil hole closest to the front of the engine is coming from the filter and is the supply here. The port closest to the rear of the engine is the port that’s going to feed the engine at this point.
I’m using an Improved Racing thermostat at this location, which is used to feed oil to my Improved oil cooler, via -10 oil lines.
I’ve seen a dozen guys take the OEM plate and drill and tap it for oil feed to turbos. They put a NPT fitting into the newly tapped hole they drilled in the center of the OEM plate, and in doing so, they create a blockage because the fitting threads in toooo far and and blocks the oil passage, thus blocking oil flow to engine and killing it. If they would have ground away the excess threads on the reverse side of the adapter plate, before they installed it back on the engine, everything would have been fine. I have a friend doing a turbo install currently, and I saved his bacon this morning from this exact scenario. Fitting was going to block the oil passage and kill his engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
G Atsma (05-02-2021), Number21 (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I want to buy a new plate that is already tapped for two 1/8 NPT holes, they're only like $20. I think I'll have to setup the cooler differently than I originally planned but this is a perfect oil source for the bypass filter.
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (05-04-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not trying to be condescending. Just trying to teach a man to fish.

1/8npt to supply turbo OK, to supply engine, disastrous. Factory oil cooler lines are 1/2" because that's how much volume is needed to feed the engine. Changing from a bypass cover to supply/return cover must not limit oil flow at all. Monitor oil pressure (that why sensor is after the filter) and make sure it does not drop at higher rpm when supply is critical.
The following 2 users liked this post by tblentrprz:
98cherrySS (05-04-2021), G Atsma (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Not trying to be condescending. Just trying to teach a man to fish.
You did not "teach" anything. Your visual aids were rather useless for the question posed, and generally speaking, if your answer to a question is "here is a link" that's a crappy answer.

I did not say I was running the entire oil flow through 1/8" ports, I'm just not explaining the entire system to you because I know somebody will try to argue about it and another person won't understand the question. All I care about is how the oil is flowing through this particular hole.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 05-04-2021, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Good to see you're still making useless posts.

Quick Reply: Oil flow route through cooler port?