Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette Motor Thrust Bearing problem

Old 01-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette Motor Thrust Bearing problem

Has any vette owners experianced the thrust bearing going out repeatedly ??? Mine went out at 2200 miles on my new motor , I Had it rebuilt again ,,, And Now the Same thrust bearing went out at 187 miles this time ??? WTF ?

( ...FYI.. The thrust bearing is the center main bearing on the crank shaft )

Some say the transmission problems I've had caused the problem ... Mike At Century Transmission say's thats not possible , since the transmission is a rear mount and cant balloon the converter enuff to due damage to the motor ,,, he says the torque Tube has 2 carrier bearings to stop it as well as rubber U-joints and a Spline at the flywheel and all these things will not let the tranny push foward to cause this problem , Like it can on a F-Body ....
Old 01-11-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bang on your crank (or balancer) much?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Bang on your crank (or balancer) much?
No the motor Lost oil pressure at like 2200 miles the first time , nothing was done , to it except 1 cam swap ... I did'nt like the HUGE cam that was put in at first . i went to a less radical cam ... thats all the work that was done in the first 2200 miles ,,,, after I had it completely rebuilt again ( under Warranty ) It started loosing pressure after only 100 miles , at 180 miles,,, I would have only 11 psi at a stop in gear ... Nothing was done to the motor mechanically ....
The transmission was rebuilt once during the second motor ... Due to 2nd gear slipping ...
Old 01-12-2007, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

hrmm... i havent had any problems with mine...
Old 01-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Teching In

No body else with A Built motor and tranny in A "C5" havin this problem ???
Old 01-14-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

was the block torn down and the line bore checked? maybe you should check for bearing crush also, there could be a problem with the size or shape of the main bearing bore diameter. on an ls1/ls6 it should be 2.751in.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Did they replace the crank when it went out the first time. Sounds like something is truly jacked up. I am not at all familiar with the rear mounted tranny's in the Vettes so I can not comment on those; however, I have seen clutch and converter problems cause this problem many times with the conventional setups. In fact that is the reason I hot wired my clutch safety switch in my car, because whenever you start a clutch car with the clutch in, it is pressing the crank up against the rear wall of the thrust bearing and there is no oill pressure there to protect it. Now i can just put it in neutral and fire it up without holding in the clutch. Back to your problem, if the thrust flange was damaged on the crank, that could have caused your second short term repeat failure, but would not help explain the original cause. I would continue to look for something attempting to push the crank forward or backward.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Thanks guy's ,,, I will relay this info to the motor building shop... He seemed really concerned and could not understand why this happened ...
I'm just trying to help it to not happen again !!!

Search this Thread