Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam decision for my rotary!

Old 01-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam decision for my rotary!

Hi gentlemen.

Current setup is a 01 LS1, CAI, 1 7/8 long tubes, 3" exhaust, Racing Beat muffler.

I have decided to finally upgrade my stock LS1, it is time to step up.

Buddy of mine has 03 LS6 Cam, Heads and Valvetrain that he would let me have for $700, maybe $650. Even though 370-390 rwhp with that setup (I believe) would be more than plenty to kill that civic, I am thinking of going with a bigger cam. Even though I love my car sounding not louder than stock Ford Taurus, I might have to sacrifice that. Cam decisions are tough still having 4.10 gears makes me want a high revving, high powerband cam, however driveability is very important - daily driver. C5Z06/LS6 Cam would help out and probably be enough spinning up to 6500 rpm. On another note, why not just go as big as this

http://videos.streetfire.net/commen...463fae557c2.htm

About that cam..not sure about driveability, idle and power range.

Funny thing is that RX7 is setup perfectly, hooks just right at WOT in 1st gear with 275s, but it needs to be a bit quicker top end. I do not want a mid range cam, because it would cause a lot of wheel spin like on a previous 7 I had. Peaking at around 6300-6500 would be perfect, but keeping steady power all the way to 6800 or 7000. I know that I'm not going to get serious heads, LS6 will have to do for now. I am planning on not only racing on the highway, which is a closed course, but I also auto x, and plan on road racing.

Edit: Also considering nitrous cam for maybe 100 shot in the future.

I would like to hear opinions, setups, maybe sound clips, thoughts.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

I vote T-rex...but I am biased

(sorry about the shitty video....i was trying to get the night camera thing working and obviously didnt.)

Here is a pic of my car:
Old 01-12-2007, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

with a car that light, i would pick something more peaky, like a trex, ms3/4, g5x3/4 ect. also any cam will work well with the juice under 200hp. besides the trex and ms3 cams are proven nitrous cams
Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Teching In

I am in the same boat as this guy. I also have a rx7 with a ls6 motor in it. I am currently running a gmpp asa cam. I was thinking about the trex or ms4, but my concern is vaccum at idle. I will be road racing the car this spring and am worried about not having the vaccum that I need for braking. So my question is this, do these large cams still create any kind of vaccum at idle or do I have to go with a smaller cam?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

I have had my trex in my car for over a year and have only had a low vacuum condition twice, both times i just pulled it out of gear and the vacuum came back and i had brakes again (not that i lost my brakes, just the power portion of them).
Old 01-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by matula11
I am in the same boat as this guy. I also have a rx7 with a ls6 motor in it. I am currently running a gmpp asa cam. I was thinking about the trex or ms4, but my concern is vaccum at idle. I will be road racing the car this spring and am worried about not having the vaccum that I need for braking. So my question is this, do these large cams still create any kind of vaccum at idle or do I have to go with a smaller cam?
I'm sure when you are road racing you wouldn't be braking in neutral anyway, so you wouldn't lose power brakes, etc

I had a 90 RX7 with a 355 SBC with a huge cam, on the street i would always lose power brakes, but never at autocross.

Search this Thread