Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on cleaning up the stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice on cleaning up the stock heads

well im goin to be installing my tsp torquer v2 cam and taking my heads off (1998 ls1 heads) and was debating on working on them while i had them off.My father was goin to port and polish them but also asked me about cutting them 20-30 thousandths .so i want be out much money maybe 100-200 bucks for all that work .So would i benifit from doin that and if you got any tips lets here them
Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You want tips on porting or milling? You will definitely benefit from both, but I would say if you need tips on porting, you are better off having a professional do it. Heads are very particular in this area. Just cutting away at the insides will leave you in a pickle...and quick. I would check with TSP or just do the clay method to find out how much you can safely mill with that cam.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

ya i was goin to call them we my package arrived .but my father knows alot about cars and has ran a shop for 10+ years so i trust him to do it right .But Ill see what Tsp recommends first and go from theirs .Orange i would like to thank you for helping me out with some of my recent post you always seem to steer me in the right path.So hopefully sometime soon be looking for my video becase as soon as it starts up i will have the camera in had ..oo and of course open headers lol
Old 01-15-2007, 11:54 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Nice! Anytime. I try to give out 2x the good information as a I do useless posts. Can't wait to see the video. Also, don't run open headers too long or you will be standing in line at the auto parts store buying some o2 sensors.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless youre going to flycut your pistons, I wouldnt mill past .010 or possibly .015. I decided to flycut so I could go the full .040. Heres a link to my 241 heads I did at home. A picture is worth 1000 words. http://picasaweb.google.com/GuitsBoy...dPolishedHeads
Old 01-16-2007, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Before you mill the heads have them clayed so you know how much you can actually mill off. Then mill them to the max you can provided that you dont plan to change to a bigger cam later on and dont mill so much as to make DCR to high. A shop will do the claying for under $200 usually.

As for PP get a set of cheap heads from somewhere and give it a practice run first and if you do a good job then try it on your cars heads. Heres a good site that shows how to DIY PP heads.http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.aspx

Sorry if its a non-sponsor link, but it is a good DIY writeup.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:45 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Nice link Brad! I just read the majority of it, and for some reason feel like picking up a die grinder. wierd.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Nice link Brad! I just read the majority of it, and for some reason feel like picking up a die grinder. wierd.
Thanks. I read this over a year ago and was interested in doing it, I just never got around to it. Maybe ill port my stock heads when I pull them out in a few weeeks to replace them with my TEA stage 3's.