Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Low oil pressure!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Low oil pressure!!!

I have an issue with a freshly assymbled engine. I start the car and the oil pressure is fine. I use 10/30 synthetic oil. After driving it awhile, the pressure drops to 20. When it gets good and warm it wont even rise at acceleration. The oil pump is a blue printed pump from TSP. Anyone have any ideas? It makes no strange noises.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is weird, My first thought would have been the oil pump but thats new. What kind of oil filter are you using?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Might be ripped oil pump o-ring or a bad oil pressure sending unit.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!!! there are soooo many threads about this it makes me sick..

dont rely on the factory gauge.. its a piece of ****.. ive had 2 go bad already. get an external gauge.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Veryify w/ an external guage... if it's comes up low first thing to check is oil pump o-ring.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

I know for certain the Oring is good. I should of stated that in the 1st place, sorry. The engine was assymbled on a stand. I have a friend whos car did the same thing. He checked his internals and found his #1 crank bearing was worn to the brass. I hope that isnt the problem here. Thank you guys for responding. And for those who are sick of threads like this dont read them. I did check and did not find any new or satisfactory info. I will get a gauge on it.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Oil filter is a Wal mart FRAM.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hm... it's "typical" for LSX crank bearings to look like crap. They're actually copper w/ a lead/tin alloy on them. When I pulled my cam out last week a freaked out a bit by how mine looked, but after much research and speaking w/ various tuners I learned about how they wear etc etc etc.

Did the car have fine oil presure before the cam? Just putting in a new cam wouldn't hurt anything unless you butchered the bearings taking it out/putting it in.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldnt know. The engine is 100% fresh. That is good info though on the wear though. I didnt realize that.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
Oil filter is a Wal mart FRAM.

are you freaking kidding me??? USE THE SEARCH BUTTON or prepare to get flamed...

FRAM is one of the worst things you can put on your car.... also cause oil pressure problems! USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

I have used them on several applications. Never an issue.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
I have used them on several applications. Never an issue.

oh i see... so i guess that means that its not a problem eh?? if your not going to take advice then what the hell are you asking for it for??

Fram oil filters are KNOWN to be HORRIBLE.. cut one open.. they have been proven to contain shavings and sharp metal shards.. also have been known to cause oil pressure problems...

once again dude.. quit acting so arrogant and use the search button. we have ALL been in your shoes and all been newbs.. searching and seeing peoples past problems will save you tons of time and headaches...
Old 01-16-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
are you freaking kidding me??? USE THE SEARCH BUTTON or prepare to get flamed...

FRAM is one of the worst things you can put on your car.... also cause oil pressure problems! USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!
Give the guy a break. For one, do trust the stock guage. In the event that your stock guage is NOT lying and you dont have any oil pressure you dont need to keep cranking the car up, now do you? Two things that I know of that equal low oil pressure other than a bad sending unit, are bearings, and the oil pump (o-ring included). I would start by cutting the oil filter open and checking for pieces of bearings in there (these would be flakes of aluminum most likely). If you dont find any bearing material then go for the oil pump or o-ring.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Alright man. I dont see where I am being arrogant. I checked the search engine and again did not find anything new. If it was the damn filter it would have pressure issues from the start. But it holds pressure good for 30-45 minutes of run time and falls off. That is not the filter! I will check the damn filter just in case. I also am putting a gauge on it. I realise the dummy stuff. I am asking for people who might of had a simular issue. I have only known one other car to do this and he is pulling his crank to replace bearings. I fricken hope I dont have to do this.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02Reaper
Give the guy a break. For one, do trust the stock guage. In the event that your stock guage is NOT lying and you dont have any oil pressure you dont need to keep cranking the car up, now do you? Two things that I know of that equal low oil pressure other than a bad sending unit, are bearings, and the oil pump (o-ring included). I would start by cutting the oil filter open and checking for pieces of bearings in there (these would be flakes of aluminum most likely). If you dont find any bearing material then go for the oil pump or o-ring.

Thank you! That is the responce I am looking for. You now are the second person to say this and I didnt want to hear it!LOL
Old 01-16-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=fram
Old 01-22-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

My car has the exact same problem. I'm currently installing a Melling high volume pump with new pick up.

We're pretty sure its the o-ring but since I'm there I'm leaving nothing to chance.

I hope this cures the issue, I'll let you know what happens. I'm just glad I'm not the only one. As for filters I use NAPA Gold which is the good WIX filter or Mobil1 filters. I even tried an AC Delco and the situation persisted.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first put my motor together, I had a cam bearing spin around on me and then back out of the bore and get demolished by a lifter. But while it was in there before it got tore up, the oil pressure was all messed up like you said. When I first started it up, the oil pressure was good at 60 lbs. But then later on, it would only be around 20, and would not rise sometimes. Fixed the problem, and now it holds 70 lbs at cold start, and when hot, is around 45 - 50 lbs. I dont think I have ever seen mine drop below 45.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Moe:

Did you have to pull the motor and replace the cam bearing like the book says with the special tools, or did you have someone else do it.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also wanted to ask what are the main bearing clearances???