Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEST HEAD & CAM COMBINATION!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST HEAD & CAM COMBINATION!

I need i little help! i got 98 ss with a few bolt on's including full exh, i wanna go with cam and heads but there so many different kind of cams and heads, i wanna something that would put me about 450rwhp without hurting too much my gas milege, what's the best deal outthere for under 2k?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

If it were as easy as "start a thread and let someone profile your new combo", we'd all do it. Nobody can streamline a setup that would fit all your desires and your budget.

Besides, researching a good setup for yourself is 50% of the fun in building these cars! Don't shortchange yourself - browse this forum, use the search function, and talk to those guys that are making the numbers you desire.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Thunder racing's stage 2 heads and the T-rex cam.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Spend a while searching and looking at different heads and cams and then when youve found something you might like post up another thread and ask what people think.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Use the ******* search!!!!!!! How many more people can possibly ask the same dumbass questions everyday? These "best parts" threads are retarded and make us seem like ricers.

There is a lot of questions you must ask yourself before you jump into a head/cam combo. My suggestion on a cam is 190/190 .455 .455 120 LSA -5

Last edited by brad8266; 01-17-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Launching!

the word best and under 2k dont go together your looking to spend over 2k for a good cylinder head IE not a stock casting.
heads $2300, cam $389, gasket kit $40, head gaskets $130, oil and filter $30, 90mm intake $705, 90mm throttle body $390, pushrods $100, Dyno tuning $400.

the list is never ending
Old 01-17-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

even TEA heads use stock castings are are over 2K, for stage 3's at least.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take a look at the TSP/PRC combo's out there. Definitely the way to go if you are looking to make big power without killing your wallet! We have several proven packages under $2k!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated above, you gotta make your own decision based on your goal. Set goals then you can set your criteria, then set your options, then you can ask a question like this
Old 01-17-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

trickflow 215s
Old 01-17-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man, you need to check out the new issue of GM High Tech, the go over a couple combos this month... you also need to do alot of searches, you can find good heads and good cams, you just need to talk to a professional about what cam to go with once you find your heads.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brad8266
Use the ******* search!!!!!!! How many more people can possibly ask the same dumbass questions everyday? These "best parts" threads are retarded and make us seem like ricers.

There is a lot of questions you must ask yourself before you jump into a head/cam combo. My suggestion on a cam is 190/190 .455 .455 120 LSA -5

brad8266,

Well ... like they say, "there's no dumb questions." But apparently you've proven that there can be dumb replies.

Your comment was totally unnecessary. You could have politely and respectfully recommended that dfwss do a little more research so that other members could be of more help to him. Instead, you chose to embarrass yourself and insult dfwss, while adding nothing to this thread.

Next time if you can't say it politely, don't say it.

Other members:

Sorry for interrupting this threat with my editorial, but I couldn't let that comment go unaddressed.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ACCELR8
brad8266,

Well ... like they say, "there's no dumb questions." But apparently you've proven that there can be dumb replies.

Your comment was totally unnecessary. You could have politely and respectfully recommended that dfwss do a little more research so that other members could be of more help to him. Instead, you chose to embarrass yourself and insult dfwss, while adding nothing to this thread.

Next time if you can't say it politely, don't say it.

Other members:

Sorry for interrupting this threat with my editorial, but I couldn't let that comment go unaddressed.
How are you going to tell me that I embarassed myself like you know my feelings or something? I am not the least bit embarssed jackass, and yeah I could have said it nicer but I choose not to, its just annoying to read the same new thread more than twice a day. Too bad if you didnt like what i said, get over it already. Thank you for adressing my comment with your high moral standards. Better go police the rest of the site for mean responses.

I am sure most of the people that come to this site arent new to web forums, so they most likely are aware that there are stickies and seach functions yet people just have to ask the same **** over and over.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Old 01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Exclamation

Originally Posted by brad8266
How are you going to tell me that I embarassed myself like you know my feelings or something? I am not the least bit embarssed jackass, and yeah I could have said it nicer but I choose not to, its just annoying to read the same new thread more than twice a day. Too bad if you didnt like what i said, get over it already. Thank you for adressing my comment with your high moral standards. Better go police the rest of the site for mean responses.

I am sure most of the people that come to this site arent new to web forums, so they most likely are aware that there are stickies and seach functions yet people just have to ask the same **** over and over.
You need to chill the f#ck out boy

The thread starter is brand new to Tech; their 1st post.

The name of this site is LS1tech

Your response was neither technical, nor helpful in ANY WAY

If you didn't wanna offer any assistance you could have easily ignored the thread or told him, politely, to use the search.

You've only been here a little over a year; just because you have a couple thousand posts doesn't change the fact that you are still a Try not to act like one and embarass US

To answer the thread starters question: if you're on a budget then TSP, Texas Speed & Performance, is the way to reach 450 rwhp

If you want the best; Trickflow Heads are the Cylinder Head of the moment

Last edited by The Dragon; 01-17-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

dfwss-check out texas speed products,give them a call they are a pleasue to talk to and can get you going in the right direction.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Dragon
You need to chill the f#ck out boy

The thread starter is brand new to Tech; their 1st post.

The name of this site is LS1tech

Your response was neither technical, nor helpful in ANY WAY

If you didn't wanna offer any assistance you could have easily ignored the thread or told him, politely, to use the search.

You've only been here a little over a year; just because you have a couple thousand posts doesn't change the fact that you are still a Try not to act like one and embarass US

To answer the thread starters question: if you're on a budget then TSP is the way to reach 450 rwhp

If you want the best; Trickflow Heads are the Cylinder Head of the moment
Another Intenet tuff guy And if i dont chill what? You gonna send me a virus or something?

yeah Ive been on this site a year and change but I was on the old ls1.com foir quite a while when it was a good site before this one was so popular, so i wouldnt say im a complete newb, ive been around the scene a bit. Anyway thats neither here or there so lets not act like you know me or something because I could care less to know you and I could give a **** what you think.

Tuff love never hurt anyone, if youre that offended dfwss, then im sorry for being so harsh. To everyone else that bitches about my comment not contributing to the thread yet posts their own responses that dont contribute ****,
Old 01-17-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

brad8266,

I have some questions, should I get the MS4 cam? The cam specs have really big numbers so I will probably make like 500 horsepower. What else should I replace, do I need any other new parts?

How many ponies do you think I will put down? What do you think it will run at the track? Do you think my 3.42 gears will be ok with this cam?, I don't have any more money for new gears. I want my car to sound like a pro stock car and rattle tools off the shelf in my neighbors garage because he already doesn't like my car.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

(i just wanted to use that Smilie)
Old 01-17-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1muscle
brad8266,

I have some questions, should I get the MS4 cam? The cam specs have really big numbers so I will probably make like 500 horsepower. What else should I replace, do I need any other new parts?

How many ponies do you think I will put down? What do you think it will run at the track? Do you think my 3.42 gears will be ok with this cam?, I don't have any more money for new gears. I want my car to sound like a pro stock car and rattle tools off the shelf in my neighbors garage because he already doesn't like my car.