Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED SOME INFO ON 6.0 Iron Block????

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NEED SOME INFO ON 6.0 Iron Block????

To make long story short i blew my stock LS1 on boost and am thinking about building a 6.0L truck iron block. What are the differences with a 6.0 LS2 and a 6.0 Iron block?? Other than the material is everything else the same spec-wise??
--The more important question, everywhere ive called no one seems to have "standard" forged pistons/rods etc for the iron 6.0L truck motor. All everyone seems to be selling is stuff for just basic LS1 based 5.7 motors...???? Who and what do i do to get all the necessary parts so in the end it will hold around or exceed 600rwhp for a good long while. All info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 PM
The know it all's know it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on beating it like a redheaded step child ( no offense to redheaded step children implied) then an iron block would be my first purchase for 600hp but not to exceed 750. beyond that i would look at the GMPP LSX or a warhawk.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

the 6L iron block is just like an ls1 only iron & a 4" bore. the ls2 has a few differences all together.

as far as parts for it, most places have internals. the only differences is the pistons. the cranks, rods, cam & all are the same. you just need pistons for the larger bore.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sean Collins
If you plan on beating it like a redheaded step child ( no offense to redheaded step children implied) then an iron block would be my first purchase for 600hp but not to exceed 750. beyond that i would look at the GMPP LSX or a warhawk.
why do you say that? the iron blocks hold 1000+ hp all the time.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by SSwanner
Sure for 50-100passes. also youd be surprised how few of those qoute "1000hp" engines actually make 1000hp. If its got a good 60ft and running 9.0 at 150ish it ain't making 1000hp. more like 800hp. and again for a redheaded abused step child that block is not tough enough for that type of abuse.why would you under build a lower end ? better to overkill a bit and have a reliable engine. Just beucase you can get it to make 1000hp doesn't mean it'll live indefinately.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SSwanner
thats what i thought....look basically what i want guys is to have the extra "security" of the iron block and forged pistons/rods (regargless of the 80 or so lbs added) so that i have more of a cushion in the long run so there is less chance of me blowing up another motor or something inside that motor lol I want peace of mind,
--THE QUESTION that i havent gotten answered is where do i find badass pistons/rods for my 6.0 LQ4 LQ9 IRON block??????? (Remember its all gonna e standard measurement stuff) THAnKS again keep it comin' guys
Old 01-17-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by fenix999
thats what i thought....look basically what i want guys is to have the extra "security" of the iron block and forged pistons/rods (regargless of the 80 or so lbs added) so that i have more of a cushion in the long run so there is less chance of me blowing up another motor or something inside that motor lol I want peace of mind,
--THE QUESTION that i havent gotten answered is where do i find badass pistons/rods for my 6.0 LQ4 LQ9 IRON block??????? (Remember its all gonna e standard measurement stuff) THAnKS again keep it comin' guys
Lunati or callies with a Mahle or diamond piston would be about the best unless you decided to use a lunati pistons with the lunati kit which i am fairly sure is really a JE peice.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:24 AM
TECH Resident

What about TSP's 370 cu in iron block?? Comes fully assembled with forged pistons, crank, rods?? If you already have the block then im sure they can sell u the internals seperately.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:28 AM
TECH Addict

Iron 408 all the way. tough as nails. I`m making awsome power on spray and shes tough!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
What about TSP's 370 cu in iron block?? Comes fully assembled with forged pistons, crank, rods?? If you already have the block then im sure they can sell u the internals seperately.
yea thats what i looked at also but im doing all this on more of a budget, i could get an iron 6.0 block for lets say $400, buy forged pistons/rods/rings/etc for $1300 or so....and i have a forged motor...for cheap..but i duno i should just spend alil more and get a nice setup from one of these companies...i duno ??? and the iron 408 would also be a badass motor to boost the guts out of, im sure it will hold and make disgusting amounts of power...i gotta weigh out my options on pricing and everything and then make a decision, i hate stuff like this everything looks so tempting
Old 01-18-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sean Collins

This guy has no clue, dont listen to him.

Browse around in the forced induction section, you should get your answers there.