Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help removing engine

Old 01-19-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help removing engine

Hey guys I was wondering if someone had a link to show how to drop the motor down from the bottom. I will be installing my H/C with a TC this weekend, I found a link for an LT1 but not for an LS1, I tried the search this morning but it did not work for me at the time. Thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 09:46 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your dropping the motor to do heads and cam? You know that you don't have to pull it for a cam install.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

I understand that but I also have to do my Torque converter, so I thought it would be easier to pull it all out at once at work on it that way. Then I can do a little cleaning in there.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I ever do a heads/cam install again, the motor will come out the bottom. We pulled my stock motor this fall out the bottom. It took less than an hour. With the motor out of the car like that, it would take a fraction of the time to do a heads/cam swap than if it were in the car. I would be willing to bet that going that route, I could do a heads cam swap faster (including time to drop the motor and resinstall) than doing it with the engine in the car.

One of the guys in our car club actually figured out that if you unplug a couple of connections to the computer inside the car, you can just drop the engine without having to unhook any sensors. Just drop it with the wiring harness intact and the computer on top of the motor.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ohsofast
Hey guys I was wondering if someone had a link to show how to drop the motor down from the bottom. I will be installing my H/C with a TC this weekend, I found a link for an LT1 but not for an LS1, I tried the search this morning but it did not work for me at the time. Thanks
Here is a video from TV:

http://www.bowlingss.com/DownLoads/Videos/

Select LS1_engine_removal.avi. Download the file. It is a large file. I would do it at night.

Bill
Old 01-19-2007, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that the bottom is a bad idea, because there's a lot of guys on here that swear by it, but we pulled mine from the top and it couldn't have been any easier. Piece of cake. And NO you don't have to remove the hood.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
Here is a video from TV:

http://www.bowlingss.com/DownLoads/Videos/

Select LS1_engine_removal.avi. Download the file. It is a large file. I would do it at night.

Bill
Thanks Bill will be looking at it when I get to my friends shop, can't dl it at work.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

its easy, just start removing stuff.

Search this Thread