23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

H/C or FI ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H/C or FI ?

Finally the time has come to spend some money and I'm torn in two directions!

First choice is H/C or Second choice is D1SC

I have 6k to spend I know its just braking the ground in the FI world but I have room to grow with the D1SC.

I already factored out a 12 bolt and new clutch and I'm left with 6k to invest wisely!

I am pretty sure of my route I just want to get a few opinions before I sign the check

Lets hear from the guys that have had both and their overall thougths.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H/C will run you approx 3K, then your left over with plenty of money for suspension and fuel mods. With the 12 bolt and new clutch you can def have fun with a ds1c on your stock motor, but be prepared to have additional funds in case your tranny or stock short block blows up.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

DISC only because you have 6k to spend. If you had 8-9 I would say forged motor Keep in mind that supercharging is not just cupcakes and butterflies, they can be a bitch to tune and maintain.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not to mention that once you crank up the boost a little too high, goodbye shortblock. Remember that youll eventually need to forge the motor, upgrade the fuel system (past whats in the kit) spend money on wheels and tires, cause DRs just wont cut it anymore. Then think of the money youll need to budget for wheelie bars and parachutes.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol yea I know I'm going to have me block forged for sure but I don't want to goes H/C's then wish I would of went FI. Crazy I know, just to need to here from the people who have been there and done that. Already have wheels and tires (two sets).

I'm not to sure about the whole wheelie bar and parachute just yet!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

What are you looking to put to the ground?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know with a built motor and the D1SC I can manage 600rwhp. Which I am sure to be happy with no dought. But if I did H/C I would go for 450rwhp.

I know these are two different avenues. With slightly different resutls but non the less.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

It sounds to me like deep down you want to go the FI route. Do it! It will cost more and there are more hurdles to overcome but if you spend the money on H/C then go FI later that 3K was wasted and could have went towards the FI setup. Take your time and understand it isn't a quick process and you'll be happier in the end. If you want results asap go with the H/C. Not saying you won't enjoy the D1SC right away but there are things you will need the more you enjoy it. The tranny for one. I would say go the D1SC route.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

450rwhp sounds plenty enough to have fun in.

todd
Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
It sounds to me like deep down you want to go the FI route. Do it! It will cost more and there are more hurdles to overcome but if you spend the money on H/C then go FI later that 3K was wasted and could have went towards the FI setup. Take your time and understand it isn't a quick process and you'll be happier in the end. If you want results asap go with the H/C. Not saying you won't enjoy the D1SC right away but there are things you will need the more you enjoy it. The tranny for one. I would say go the D1SC route.
I agree with ya, deep down I will most likely go D1SC (EPP has a great package as we all know). Just want to get a few opinions before I sign any thing like I stated earlier. Aslo I want to get my moneys worht in the long run and really think FI is by far the best bang for the buck right now.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MonkeyBoneSS
I agree with ya, deep down I will most likely go D1SC (EPP has a great package as we all know). Just want to get a few opinions before I sign any thing like I stated earlier. Aslo I want to get my moneys worht in the long run and really think FI is by far the best bang for the buck right now.

Well stock short blocks have survived pretty long with 7-8 psi on pump gas with a real good tune so its def doable, just be ready to replace the stock short block or other parts that will wear with the stress of FI.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

what about H/C and nitrous
Old 01-19-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john563
what about H/C and nitrous
For some reason I haven't been a big fan of nitrous. Just like the idea I guess of always having the power there. Not to mention having to refill the bottles.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you only have 6k to spend, I don't think you'll get FI completely done. I'm sure there would be all sorts of hidden fees that people just fail to mention (like the fuel system upgrades, tuning if you can't do it yourself, install if you can't do it yourself, maybe an ATI superdamper, updating the PCV system with breathers or whatever, etc). Plus, you will really be stressing the rear end (with either actually).

Going H/C with that much money will leave you a much nicer margin for the possibility of running over budget...I think with FI, you'd go over 6k. With H/C, it'll be more than the 3k term thrown in here (if you do quality parts), but I wouldn't think it'd be close to 6k. Plus you'll need to eventually get a new short block.

Don't forget a clutch too...
Old 01-19-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If you only have 6k to spend, I don't think you'll get FI completely done. I'm sure there would be all sorts of hidden fees that people just fail to mention (like the fuel system upgrades, tuning if you can't do it yourself, install if you can't do it yourself, maybe an ATI superdamper, updating the PCV system with breathers or whatever, etc). Plus, you will really be stressing the rear end (with either actually).

Going H/C with that much money will leave you a much nicer margin for the possibility of running over budget...I think with FI, you'd go over 6k. With H/C, it'll be more than the 3k term thrown in here (if you do quality parts), but I wouldn't think it'd be close to 6k. Plus you'll need to eventually get a new short block.

Don't forget a clutch too...
I think he said he already has a 12 bolt and clutch on the way, just deciding on how much power he wants and how he wants to make it. I agree though a nice H/C setup costs half as much and leaves plenty of money for other mods. I say though if your stuck on the idea of FI go with it as you wont be happy if thats what you really want.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

He said he budgeted for the 12-bolt, but I wonder how much that really was...I will have put nearly $3000 in mine to get it in my car with all the misc. ****. Clutch? Better have at LEAST a grand unless you want to chance a cheaper setup (which you can, but I personally won't). Just doing some casual reading in the FI section has been enough to steer me away from it...there are guys who will honestly tell you how much they spent, and it is WAY more than 6k, sometimes even to just get started. I don't have the kinda cash flow that would require on top of eventually needing a new shortblock...maybe this guy does. Who knows. I think people get a set money figure in their minds that is a bit low. If I were to get into F/I, I'd probably want about 10 grand set aside to do it properly.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Hey I dont know if your interested in a getting a car already built, but I have got a car with a built motor and supporting fuel delivery system that is producing in the area of 550rwhp (all motor) that I will be selling in a few weeks.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Id say H/C only because of your budget. unless your goin to be happy for a while with the base kit and a tune. you wont have any money to add things. and as stated, the stock short block limits you to the 7-8psi range anyways. Ive seen 10lbs boost last a while, but you just dont know how long with that. make sure you make up your mind before buying the 12bolt though, you'll want diff. gear ratio's depending on which way you go.
also, Ive installed a few ati's before, and its pretty easy to install. just time consuming. Id say any gear head with a little mechanical skills wont have any problems with the install. whereas the heads/cam route, is still very achievable by the average backyard mechanic thanks to this awesome site, but will require several special tools to be purchased/rented/borrowed.

question, are you planning on drag racing (at the track)this car? once in a while, hardly, never? if you want to go drag racing then Id say def. the H/C route. that will leave you with enough money to have a roll cage installed, and buy some susp. upgrades too. and either way you'll be looking at around 450RWHP area since the stock long block will limit you to the 8psi range.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

and get some long tubes, whatever way you go.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

If you go FI ensure that funds, funds and funds are readily available. It will be one thing after the other.