Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connecting rod bolts question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting rod bolts question?

I have heard that one of the major weak points in the LS1 bottom end are the rod bolts. So my question is, can i change them to ARP without having to pull my motor. Come in from the bottom after i remove the oil pan, is this possible, if so, how exactly is it done, and how difficult is it to do? Also are there any other weak points i can easily upgrade on the bottom end, with my heads off and with the motor still in the car?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Although some poeple do it with ARP's, the best way to do that is to get Katech bolts.
They are a direct replacement (remove ferrule if motor has them). They are the same design as stock but in much higher tensile strength.
This is done by removing pan, windage tray etc.. and proceed 1 bolt at a time without ever dispalcing the cap. This will require raising the motor to access (dropping crossmember helps as well)
Old 01-22-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

doesnt the oilpan have a torque sequence that must be followed? i thought u had to remove the engine for this mod? and also how long u think it will take?
sorry to hijack PEWTER but im in the boat?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes there is a torque sequence for the oil pan but that can be done under the car too.Some people think you have to pull the tranny,some people think you have to pull everything.The way i did it everything was intact,and not even touched..What you do is get a pressure treated 4*4 deck post and put it accross the shock towers,and use this to hold up the engine while you lower the k member.It wasnt that bad when i did it.i used the katechs also.