Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam would work best on a stock 99C5? 01-04 ZO6 cam? LS1 hot cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What cam would work best on a stock 99C5? 01-04 ZO6 cam? LS1 hot cam?

I have a 99 C5 6speed with 122k on the motor, im looking at a little more power but nothing crazy for now. Its completly stock from the intake to the oil pan. First do you think I should even try and do this knowing the motor has 122k? but, the motor seems strong and healthy. Second what cam do you think would be best? Im looking at like an LS1 hot cam or a stock ZO6 cam from an 2001-2004. Also, would I have to upgrade my valve train?

Roger
Old 01-25-2007, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people would tell you that one of those cams is not worth the hassle and expense of a cam swap. If you are doing a swap, I would recomend something bigger. You difinetly want to upgrade your srpings to 918'a at minimum and some new pushrods for good measure.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Cost isn't the only factor to consider when looking for improvements. If two cams cost the same but have different power bands, you need to decide which power band you operate in or want to operate in. Bigger isn't always better.

For your situation, I'd upgrade the exhaust (headers and catback) and airlid areas first, and leave the internals alone for a while. A cam change at that mileage level will cost almost as much as a crate LS1 replacement engine, because you have to change the lifters as well as cam/springs/pushrods, plus labor if you don't do the work yourself. You should also change out the timing chain, and oil/water pumps which will add to the cost. Early LS oil pumps (some '00, and '99 and back) are/were prone to failure. Seems though you're like me, I've got 93k on my original oil pump and it's still going strong. Additionally, early LS rod bolts don't like sustained or repeated high-rpms. Most will recommend replacing them, and it's next to impossible to do with the engine in the car.

Those cams aren't bad, but you should decide on what you want out of the car - spirited street driving, drag racing, or autocrossing/HPDE events. Also, the Z06 cam will be fairly tame in idle quality/sound, but the Hot Cam will have a noticeable idle.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Old 01-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

check your compression. You dont need to swap everything in the motor because your swapping at high mileage. You can for piece of mind but you dont need to replace stuff that isnt broken, like a water pump. An oil pump is a good idea.

Theres a guy on here with 229k on his car so they do run.

If your compression is strong in all cylinders then you need to decide how you want to go. A replacement engine is $3500 minimum w/ delivery. A cam change even with lifters is 1/3 third that at best.
You'll need to do things to support the cam like headers and an ls6 intake minimum.
Most cam packages will include the valvetrain upgrades in it for about $600 add an ls2 chain and your good to go. You dont need to do lifters but you could. They're $200 and then you need head gaskets and new head bolts or go with arp studs. I wouldnt worry about rod bolts, ringlands will go first. I lost a cylinder in my 99 at 82k but I drove it very hard. Just be preparred. All bets are off when you start modding. Some never have trouble with their original bottom end. You either do the work yourself or you dont. Even if you swapped engine and your not doing it yourself you still have to pay someone so the cost thing isn't even close. You can buy a new sb for 3k plus delivery. But then you'll want heads as well and a 90/90. 3k+2K+1100=6100 and not done yet.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Well, how I viewed the whole crate engine vs cam swap was cost of components and mileage of the original engine. A local dealer has a 350HP LS1 crate on sale for $3500. I originally was going to purchase a Comp Cam and kit (54-426-11 cam p/n, 54100 kit p/n) but those two items are $1000 from JEGS, plus lifters ($200), plus a new timing chain, oil pump/water pump, plus gaskets, so those components get close to $2k real quick before lifting a wrench. Add in a set of C5 LTs (say, Dynatechs for $1500 from Scoggin-Dickey) and now the cost totals close to $3500. Depending on the cam selection you can greatly exceed the RWHP of the crate engine, but that is also dependent on how you want to use the vehicle. On the whole, it's a YMMV issue, but either way (cam swap w/LTs or crate engine) it's going to cost about the same, IMO. From my perspective, as much as I want to install a new cam, I'd rather wait and let this engine expire and then get a crate, or buy the crate engine and sell the original (and still running) engine to offset the total cost.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

You've missed it. Your money comparison is not accurate for one. Your adding lt's in one sentence and not accounting for them in the next. Your also not shopping for the best deal on parts.
For another you can get a sb that will outlast any crate engine for less money from a sponsor here. It will be forged and be a solid foundation for anything you throw at the car. You keep your stock heads and all your stock parts and cam if you want and your still better off on the money than what your current plan is. Even with new lifters and gaskets. TSP will build you something for less than 3k for a 347. You cant beat the deal you can get on a forged bottom end vs stock crate engine.

Now for the thread poster he has options that do no involve spending $3500 for a cam swap. I would go used on the cam buy a 918 spring package, buy an oil pump, ls2 chain, pushrods (used if you can find a set) and run it til it broke. Then have a sb built by LME.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Launching!

There's nothing inaccurate in my post, you just don't like my proposal. You didn't post any numbers in your proposals, so who's the better for that? A replacement shortblock using the stock cam doesn't increase HP, so that's a waste of money, IMO. No worries, like I said earlier, there's different ways to skin a cat.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Banned

What you should have said was there is nothing accurate with your post.
In one example your quoating the price of a cam with the price of LT's. In your crate engine example your leaving out the price of the lt's. You example is skewed. Your right I dont like it because it doesnt make any sense at all. Any. I dont care what you do.
But your game plan isnt a good one to be giving advise to this guy.

A cam swap does not cost $3500. All you've done was generalize parts to get to that 3500 and then say its better to buy a crate engine. I gave you prices as well but you dont seem to recognize them.

Cam package $600 Thunder racing comes with cam, springs and pushrods. Lifters $200 from any sponsor you want. Oil pump 125-150. $250 for a gasket set and thats it.
$1200 not $3500 out your *** dollars. Ok add in an ARP stud kit as well and your still not even half of what your bullshit example shows. Not to mention the fact that my engine will outlast yours by a long shot.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
What you should have said was there is nothing accurate with your post.
In one example your quoating the price of a cam with the price of LT's. In your crate engine example your leaving out the price of the lt's. You example is skewed. Your right I dont like it because it doesnt make any sense at all. Any. I dont care what you do.
But your game plan isnt a good one to be giving advise to this guy.

A cam swap does not cost $3500. All you've done was generalize parts to get to that 3500 and then say its better to buy a crate engine. I gave you prices as well but you dont seem to recognize them.

Cam package $600 Thunder racing comes with cam, springs and pushrods. Lifters $200 from any sponsor you want. Oil pump 125-150. $250 for a gasket set and thats it.
$1200 not $3500 out your *** dollars. Ok add in an ARP stud kit as well and your still not even half of what your bullshit example shows. Not to mention the fact that my engine will outlast yours by a long shot.

Well, I think you're missing the bigger picture (cost vs reliability) but to each his own. Given the engine's mileage, I went with replacing the commonly addressed issues that have affected not only LS engines, but Gen 1 smallblocks as well. And since the work involved goes to those areas, its not good time management and/or maintenance practice to perform the same work twice.

If you want to bash me personally, send me a PM. I have no problem with difference of opinion or technique (because I don't claim to know everything), but useless sarcasm and conjecture wastes everyone's time, yours too.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:22 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by regorih383
I have a 99 C5 6speed with 122k on the motor, im looking at a little more power but nothing crazy for now. Its completly stock from the intake to the oil pan. First do you think I should even try and do this knowing the motor has 122k? but, the motor seems strong and healthy. Second what cam do you think would be best? Im looking at like an LS1 hot cam or a stock ZO6 cam from an 2001-2004. Also, would I have to upgrade my valve train?

Roger
with that many miles, change the springs anyways. but if i had to pick from these 2, i would go with hot cam.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned

Well, I think you're missing the bigger picture (cost vs reliability) but to each his own. your saying that a crate engine is better than a forged botton end?!!?

Given the engine's mileage, I went with replacing the commonly addressed issues that have affected not only LS engines, but Gen 1 smallblocks as well. And since the work involved goes to those areas, its not good time management and/or maintenance practice to perform the same work twice.

What work are you talking about? He wants to swap a cam. Thats it. You've got him replacing parts that arent broken because you think they are ready to break?

If you want to bash me personally, send me a PM. I have no problem with difference of opinion or technique (because I don't claim to know everything), but useless sarcasm and conjecture wastes everyone's time, yours too.

Pointing out that your example is screwed up is not bashing you, it's correcting you. Your absolutely wrong with your example. Thats not my fault.
Conjecture?!?!? I supllied facts ,you supllied the conjecture.

You use LT's as a cost in one example and not in the other. Why? Just to try and prove yourself right? Not sure what thats all about. If your not buying LT's for the crate engine why are you buying them for the other example. You don't explain that. Sorry but crate engines arent the best deal these days.(well maybe if you dont have an lsx to begin with, but I can still put together a better package for just about the same money buying parts.) All you need do is shop around. It looks to me that you want to buy a crate engine for the waterpump, oil pump and lifters.

I would go with a used cam, no lifters, 918's, and an oil pump, ls2 chain and call it day. Drive it til breaks then get a forged engine for less money than a crate engine. Go be hurt somewhere else. Your example sucked. (now I'm a dick)

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 01-27-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
[I] Drive it til breaks then get a forged engine for less money than a crate engine. Go be hurt somewhere else. Your example sucked. (now I'm a dick)
Best laugh I've had all day, dude. When weren't you a dick?