Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just wondering about ls1 and lt1 vehicles.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just wondering about ls1 and lt1 vehicles.

I'm torn between a Foxbody Mustang and an F-body. Just curious how much harder are they to work on vs say a Foxbody? I know the engine sits under the cowl which would make it kind of a pain to work on. How hard is it to pull the motor and transmission from the vehicle and can you do it by yourself on jackstands? Also are the engines actually boreable? my friend said that you can't bore them you have to either resleeve them or get a new block. Thanks for all the info and i'll make my decison based on input from this forum.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lt1 was a pain in the *** to work on IMO. LS1 is easier, no experience with a foxbody. I do know however, that parts are deathly cheap for the stang.

-J
Old 01-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Thats what i like about the Fox parts are cheap and blocks are a dime a dozen especially 351W from the trucks. Now the LS1 is more advanced but if you blow a motor i thought it would be about 4 grand or so. Although on texas speed it says 599$ for a bare LS1 Block is that right? http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=138&catid=42
Old 01-26-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

I have a LT1 and a LS1 car and most of my friends have foxbody's. I agree the LT1 was a pain to work on and hated the opti. but it was still a very strong motor. The LS1 is much easier to work on and has much less day to day associated with it. The F-body's do have the weak *** 10 bolt. And the foxes got the 8.8 so you can throw in a set of gears and some slicks with out worry. But they did get the T-5 which tends to break quiet often(we've broke a 2 mainshafts on the street of DRG radials). Can't beat the T-56 for strenth and the gas mileage you get with 6th gear. Foxbody's are also plagued with shitty heater cores, that always go out, I've only road in 1 with a working heater.

If it was my only car I would get a f-body do boltons and a med sized cam, you'd have around a 400 rwhp car that you could drive every day. But if this is just going to be a fun car that you don't want to put much money in you could get a 89-93 fox(mass air cars) 5spd do intake headers etc.. put in a E cam( small cam that the computer can work with, can hear some lope) do 4.10 or 4.30 gears and slicks. You'd still get beat by a midly built lt1 or LS1 but you'd have a very fun pretty cheap car. You could also do nitrous 5.0 seem to like just keep it around 100 shot. But I've seen a some handle 200 no problem, seen a few blow up on 125 they have tiny rods and rod bolts.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO..

The F-bodys look better..

And the LS1...as we all know....is produced by God.lol

Ok..but truthfully the Fox body would be cheaper to build,and they are fun cars,but the LS1 has a ton of potnetial too..and why you so worried about blowing it up? You goin to beat the shyt outta it?

A few friends of mine have LT1's...spray,headers,intake,and a tune..running 11's

But i hear a Fox can run 11's w/ out much effort also..its a toss up...how much you looking to spend?

I am just tired of seeing fox bodies..thats why I'd go a diffrent route
Old 01-26-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

I agree with about to many fox bodies, hell there are 3(used to be 5) sitting at my house right now and I don't own a single one. I just happen to live a half mile from the local street racing spot. So they all leave them at my house with the slicks on. Plus I also have a shop where we work on all of them. I like it if I ever get bored i can just jump in which ever one a make a pass of two down the road.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

I'm just worried about the blowing up part because if i get an ls1 f-body it'll prob be over 100k miles and i like to drive cars at the track a lot and it probably wouldn't stay stock for long. I'm prob looking to spend no more than around 6-7k on the car and no more than say 3,000 in mods.