Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilding questions..

Old 01-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rebuilding questions..

hey guys im rebuilding my ls1 and im at that stage where im about to put my main/rod bearings in. is it safe to reuse the main cap and connecting rod cap bolts? i know ur not supposed to reuse head bolts so i didnt know if this was the same deal with main and rod bolts.

also, i found this little plug in the block before i put it in the cleaning machine. it looks like the same material as the oil level sender, but me and my teacher have no idea what it is. and what are the hols in the block/crank for? they are near where the cam goes. not sure what those holes are for?

and to save bandwidth and space, ill ask my cam question now ha ha...

heres what i am looking for...
near 400rwhp - daily driver - lots of highway use - maybe 1 track visit a year so i dont need something crazy..

heres what ive got..
4.10 rear gear - M6 trans - ported stock heads (853) - bolt ons.

i was thinking of a 224/224 cam on a 112lsa. would this do the job with some tuning? i love low/mid range power. thanks guys!
Old 01-28-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

May as well get new rod bolts, the stock ones such.

That sensor is the crankshaft position sensor. Those holes are where the freeze plugs go. No offense but if your teacher didnt know that hes not the best techer out there.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Launching!

i know what a CKP is, this was a little plug. i think it was in the front or rear cover area. id have to check again to make sure. and the holes are not freeze plugs, im talking about the holes that are in the crank weights. there are identical holes in the block. you could stick a rod right threw the block and crank if you wanted to. i just want to know what these holes are for or do? and no hes not a great teacher, in fact i cant stand him. im the only person in my class who knows what the **** an LS1 is pretty much. everyone else is building good 'ol 350's..... its ******* boring.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Launching!

ttt!!
Old 12-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Syxx613
i know what a CKP is, this was a little plug. i think it was in the front or rear cover area. id have to check again to make sure. and the holes are not freeze plugs, im talking about the holes that are in the crank weights. there are identical holes in the block. you could stick a rod right threw the block and crank if you wanted to. i just want to know what these holes are for or do? and no hes not a great teacher, in fact i cant stand him. im the only person in my class who knows what the **** an LS1 is pretty much. everyone else is building good 'ol 350's..... its ******* boring.

i know this is an old post but i'll post up for the future searchers. sounds like the little plug, if it's the one at the front, may be your main oil plug. looks like a mini freezeplug. if this is the one, it's recommended that if you do anything to up your oil pressure that you put a little jb weld on the plug/block to prevent it from coming out. if it came out while spinning the high rpm's, oil pressure goes to 0 and i'd be willing to bet, so does hp.

as far as the holes you've referred to, the stock crank has the holes to not only aid in lightenening but also to aid in crankcase equalization between banks. same with the holes in the block between the crank and cam. to equalize crankcase pressure.

Search this Thread