Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know if you bent a push rod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 02:42 PM
PR Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you know if you bent a push rod?

I think I bent a push rod, because I have a ticking/knocking sound coming out of my engine. I have heard this tick for 2 weeks or so, but it was very faint and you have to have the hood open and listen to it. As of last night the tick/knock is very noticeable. I am inside my car and can hear it. If I did bend a push rod how hard is it to fix, and what do I need to do. Take it in for warranty work? TIA

Mike-Z
Old 05-12-2002, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How do you know if you bent a push rod?

Is the car an A4 or M6? If its an A4 its very unlikely you bent any. If you missed a high RPM shift with a M6 you may have. My car was down

Paul on mph and a buddy had gone from 3rd to 2nd at the track in my car. It made no strange noises. It did in fact have a few bent rods, one pretty badly,replaced all of them and car ran just the same . MPH didnt pick up. Bottom line was I had bent rods and it didnt seem to affect the performance of my car. And made no audible noises. BTW, when I used the top end cleaner, my mph came back!
Old 05-12-2002, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How do you know if you bent a push rod?

i bent 3 Push Rods and broke a rocker arm and i had a a4. over rev and you can bend em. you should atap it. misfires can show bent pushrods and you would know wich cylanders to check.don't drive around or it will get worse.

Quick Reply: How do you know if you bent a push rod?