Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Sensor?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Sensor?!?!

My service engine light is on. I checked it out and its my knock sensor I was wondering if it will mess up my cars performance and if i can run my car like that until i get a chance to change it. Any pointers?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a knock sensor code will put you into a limp mode, with low octane tables AND pull timing, so performance and fuel economy will be off. If you must drive it, go EASY.

Is it the front or the back?
Old 02-04-2007, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I think a knock sensor code will put you into a limp mode, with low octane tables AND pull timing, so performance and fuel economy will be off. If you must drive it, go EASY.

Is it the front or the back?
X 2!! My car had a bad sensor that didnt set a code. My tuner and I couldnt figure out why the car would always run in the low timing table. A couple of months later, the light came on and it was the code for the knock sensor. Not only does a bad sensor throw you into low octane tables, it pulls an additional 4 deg of timing @ WOT. Make shure you replace BOTH sensors AND clean the contacts on the harness. The contacts can corrode and if they get bad enough, replacing just the sensors wont do any good. Check the leads with an ohm meter!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

My car was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a pinched cable that plugs into the knock sensors that sits below the intake. It was $12 from the local stealership.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

I believe it was that rear knock sensor. as i was driving it to work i noticed that the service engine light blinked a couple of times, so then i read the code when i got home and it was P0300(something about random misfire) would that be because of the knock sensor? Where can i go to get the sensor replaced and roughly how much would it be? Thanx
Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

T T T
Old 12-10-2007, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
X 2!! My car had a bad sensor that didnt set a code. My tuner and I couldnt figure out why the car would always run in the low timing table. A couple of months later, the light came on and it was the code for the knock sensor. Not only does a bad sensor throw you into low octane tables, it pulls an additional 4 deg of timing @ WOT. Make shure you replace BOTH sensors AND clean the contacts on the harness. The contacts can corrode and if they get bad enough, replacing just the sensors wont do any good. Check the leads with an ohm meter!
Mine is doing EXACTLY this.

Awesome.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing that I worry about is with cars that have been tuned, sometimes the tuner makes the low octane and regular tables the same values so that this will not allow the car to degrade in it's performance, not all the time, but it does happen.

If thats been done then I worry about car having no where else to go as far as the tune is concerned. so basically, get it fixed asap.