Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad bad news for my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad bad news for my car

Today I finally got around to pulling the heads off my car since breaking a valvespring four months ago due to a set of faulty springs says ETP, thanks to all that helped Anyhow here is how it looked.

I was very very upset and to be honest I really don't know what to do. I definatly don't have the cash to rebuild the block as of now and parting the car out and selling it is going to absolutely kill me but it may be my only option. Any suggestings on how to handle this. I was hoping everything would be ok and that I could take the heads to ETP so they could swap out the springs but its definatly not going to be that easy.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
Today I finally got around to pulling the heads off my car since breaking a valvespring four months ago due to a set of faulty springs says ETP, thanks to all that helped Anyhow here is how it looked.

I was very very upset and to be honest I really don't know what to do. I definatly don't have the cash to rebuild the block as of now and parting the car out and selling it is going to absolutely kill me but it may be my only option. Any suggestings on how to handle this. I was hoping everything would be ok and that I could take the heads to ETP so they could swap out the springs but its definatly not going to be that easy.

Maybe I missed something...but that valve impression in that single piston isn't cause for a rebuild unless the piston is broken. People Flycut stock pistons more than that.

Hammer

Last edited by thehammer69; 02-02-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thehammer69
Maybe I missed something...but that valve impression in that single piston isn't cause for a rebuild unless the piston is broken. People Flycut stock pistons more than that.

Hammer
What he said. Get the head fixed and put it back together.

OT: Hey hammer, did you have to quote all those pics?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thehammer69

Hammer
I agree with hammer
Old 02-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28

OT: Hey hammer, did you have to quote all those pics?
Nah...I normally cut them out, but it slipped by me. It be fixed now.

Hammer
Old 02-02-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

so you guys are saying that I can get the valve fixed and springs swapped and run with that piston like that? If so I will be rediculously psyched.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Launching!

so you guys are saying that I can get the valve fixed and springs swapped and run with that piston like that? If so I will be rediculously psyched.
Yes, exactly what we are saying.

Hammer
Old 02-02-2007, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Talking

I've seen worse that that,still being beat on,just don't be hoseing it down with the ol' n20
Old 02-02-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

It does look like a flycut piston . I do not think you are in that bad of shape man . Just get that head checked out .
Old 02-02-2007, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Definitely get that valve and all it's components checked!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

At worst I think you're looking at a new intake valve guide, valve and seat, springs (replace the whole set to be safe), retainer and lock, and valve oil seal. Have the exhaust side checked as well. Let us know what the machinist says after their estimate.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

yep! What everyone here said.

Guy's who work on imprts cars see that regularly when a timimg belt rips and there is inherent PTV in the engine.

The heads get repairs and the engine keeps going. No need to fix it.

If you are really hurting for cash, just get a set of nice used LS1 or Ls6 heads for $100 or so and pt that bad boy back together till you have the extra cash.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I don't really expect to pay much at all to get this fixed considering ETP was going to replace the springs due to the ferrara ones breaking so if I have to pay a bit for the valve and guide I'm happy. I was worried that I would have to replace the pistons initially and thats why I freaked.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Well I don't really expect to pay much at all to get this fixed considering ETP was going to replace the springs due to the ferrara ones breaking so if I have to pay a bit for the valve and guide I'm happy. I was worried that I would have to replace the pistons initially and thats why I freaked.
It's not so bad after all. It really would have sucked if the valve dropped.

Don't forget to inspect the rest of the valve train, including the cam lobe. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey im in the same boat. Its not that bad. I didnt have my springs shimmed right and i floated valves due to lack of spring pressure. I had two intakes say hello to two pistons.
My pistons look just like yours. Im shimming the springs and haveing a valve job and the heads cleaned and shes going back together. Glad you posted before you sold your car. That would have sucked, you have to be super happy right now.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

And who says duals are good insurance hahaha

It is not bad man, what I would do is flycut all the pistons, get the heads checked (fix bent valve), put thinner gaskets if you do not allready have them. This way you turn tragedy in optimum combo
Old 02-03-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice I will defiantly look into flycutting all the pistons and running a thinner gasket as I was using the GM ones when this happened. Which type of gasket do you guys think would work best if I decide to flycut?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every one of my pistons are like that, althought not as bad as yours, and I am going back together like it is. My engine was completly stock when I got it, but apparently the previous owner missed a gear and over-reved it. I am going to clay mine to check the clearance and hopefully can run thinner gaskets. Get the MLS gaskets. You can get then in the thickness you need to get your clearance right. SDPC probably has them in stock.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the advice I will defiantly look into flycutting all the pistons and running a thinner gasket as I was using the GM ones when this happened. Which type of gasket do you guys think would work best if I decide to flycut?
Cometics or Mr. Gasket
Old 02-03-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another quick question guys, is there any way to check and see if the piston has a hairline crack in it? Any way to test the compression before I spend the money to put the car back together?